This smooth and creamy Homemade Quinoa Baby Cereal recipe has an earthy and robust taste and is loaded with protein, fiber, iron and magnesium. It’s great served as a meal itself or mixed with baby’s favorite fruit or vegetable puree. Baby food for 4 months and up – stage 1 baby food.
Baby cereal doesn’t have to be plain and boring!
No way! Not for our babies!
Not only do we want a delicious tasting baby cereal, but we also want it to be loaded with nutrients to help our growing babies. Are we asking too much? I don’t think so!
Enter our trusted superfood grain – quinoa!
Nutrients in this Homemade Baby Cereal:
Quinoa is so healthy that it literally has superpowers!
- Protein – quinoa is a great source of protein for baby. Protein helps support the growth and development of babies.
- Fiber – quinoa contains almost twice as much fiber as other grains, which makes it great for babies sensitive digestive organs and helps things get going ‘down there’ in a gentle way.
- Iron – quinoa has extremely high levels of iron, which is especially important for babies around 6 months of age as their iron reserves start to diminish. Quinoa is a natural way to boost their reserves without using iron-fortified products (which I am against).
Magnesium – quinoa is rich is magnesium, which aids in bone and teeth growth.
- Lysine – quinoa contains a good amount of lysine, which helps with tissue growth and repair. A must have for babies as they learn to crawl, walk and run.
How to make this Quinoa Baby Cereal:
Besides all of the amazing health benefits from quinoa, it is also a super easy baby cereal to make.
- make a batch of your favorite quinoa – I made this recipe using the trio color blend, but any color of quinoa will work with this recipe.
- transfer the cooked quinoa into the blender
- add in a little water, broth or breast milk
- puree for a minute or so until it is nice and smooth
- serve straight away, or freeze the cereal into cubes for easy use on another day
Great purees to pair Homemade Quinoa Cereal with –
MORE BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Roasted Butternut Squash + Thyme Baby Food Puree
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW! I WANT TO SEE YOUR YUMMY CREATIONS! SNAP A PIC AND SHARE IT HERE ON PINTEREST
HOMEMADE QUINOA BABY CEREAL
- 1 cup water broth, formula or breast milk
- 1/2 cup quinoa see notes
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add quinoa and stir. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 12 minutes. Take off of heat, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer all of the quinoa to a blender or food processor and puree for 2 minutes for a completely smooth puree or pulse for 1 minute for a chunky puree. If puree is too thick, you may need to add in additional liquid. Start by adding in 1 tablespoon of liquid in at a time until you reach your desired consistency. I had to add in 5 tablespoons to get the perfect consistency for me.
- Serve or spoon into freezer storage trays and freeze for future use.
NEW TO MAKING PUREES?
THEN CHECK OF MY GUIDE ON WHICH KITCHEN TOOLS YOU ACTUALLY ARE GOING TO NEED TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST AND SMOOTHEST BABY PUREES. HINT, IT’S NOT MANY!