ABC Muffins for Baby & Toddles
Want muffins that double as a snack option AND a healthy addition to breakfast and lunch?
These ABC muffins can do just that. Filled with flavor from apples, bananas, and carrots but naturally sweetened, your kids will think they’re getting a treat with these delicious muffins.
The ingredients for these muffins come together in just 10 minutes, plus they’re a great choice for baby-led weaning due to their soft texture. ABC muffins are also a friendly way to introduce the flavor and texture of carrots to any kids who might not be so familiar with this veggie.
If you are looking for more easy and healthy muffin recipes for kids and toddlers, then be sure to check out my Blueberry Avocado Mini Muffins, Mini Pumpkin Muffins, or these delicious Applesauce Muffins. You can also find more recipes and information in my best-selling cookbook, Little Foodies: Recipes for Babies and Toddlers with Taste.
ABC MUFFINS VIDEO
Watch this video to see step-by-step instructions on how to make these muffins!
Reasons to Love these Apple Banana Carrot Muffins
- baby, toddler, kid and adult-friendly
- easy to make
- great for school or packed lunches
- great for breakfasts on the go
- can be made gluten and dairy-free
- naturally nut-free
Make sure to read the recipe card below for full ingredients and instructions!
- Flour: you can use all-purpose, white whole wheat flour, a mixture of 50/50 white and whole wheat flour, or gluten-free one-for-one flour.
- Applesauce: can use homemade or store-bought. If using store-bought then make sure to look for no-added-sugar applesauce.
- Banana: you will need a very ripe banana with lots of brown spots.
- Carrots: finely shredded or grated work best. If you have a picky eater, you can blitz the applesauce, banana, and carrots in a blender until smooth. Then add to the batter.
- Oil/Butter: to make the muffins nice and moist. You can use coconut, avocado, vegetable, olive oil, or melted butter.
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
Allergy Tips: to make these muffins gluten-free, you can use any one-for-one gluten-free flour blend.
Nutritional Benefits of ABC Muffins
These muffins are loaded with nutritional goodness, which makes them the perfect option for kiddos, especially over store-bought muffins.
- Applesauce adds fiber and nutrients such as vitamin C and other antioxidants.
- Banana gives this applesauce natural sweetness and a boost of potassium and B vitamins.
- Carrots load these muffins with vitamin A, antioxidants, and fiber.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray or line a mini muffin tin.
- Whisk: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Stir: In a large bowl, stir together the mashed banana, applesauce, carrots, maple syrup, butter/oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Combine: pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fill Muffin Tin: Scoop the batter into the muffin tin 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake: Place the muffin tin into the oven, and bake for 18-20 minutes or until just golden brown.
- Eat: Let cool for 5-10 minutes, and serve.
Mini Muffins vs Regular Muffins: you can make these into mini muffins (as directed in the recipe card) or you can make them into regular-size muffins by filling a regular-size muffin tray and baking for 18-20 minutes.
How to Store & Freeze
Once the muffins have cooled completely, store them in an airtight container. They will keep on the counter for up to 4 days and in the fridge for up to a week.
To freeze the muffins, place the mini muffins into a freezer zip-lock baggie or stasher bag and place in the freezer. They will keep for up to 3 months frozen.
Thaw frozen mini ABC muffins overnight in the fridge or by gently warming them in the microwave.
Baby-Led Weaning ABC Muffins
These muffins are perfect for baby-led weaning or as a finger food because they are soft to eat and your baby can easily pick them up in their hands with a palmar grasp or with their pincer grasp if they are cut into smaller chunks. You can serve them to your baby sliced in half or cut into small chunks.
ABC Muffins for Toddlers & Kids
These quick and easy muffins are also great for toddlers and kids. You can serve them as is, or with a smear of cream cheese, butter or peanut butter for breakfast, snack or packed into a school lunch.
- Do No Overmix: I can’t stress this point enough – do not overmix the muffin batter, if you do they won’t rise in the oven and will become dense and hard. The dry ingredients should be just combined with the wet ingredients.
- Preheat Oven: Ensure the oven is fully preheated so the muffins cook through evenly.
- Let Cool: let the muffins cool for about 10 minutes before enjoying them and let them cool completely before storing.
- Applesauce: to avoid including added sugar in this recipe, make sure the applesauce you use doesn’t have any added sugar in the ingredient list.
- Banana: Use a very ripe banana for optimal sweetness.
- No Sticking: make sure you generously grease the mini muffin molds or use mini muffin liners so that the muffins don’t stick to the pan.
Get the recipe: 20 Minute ABC Muffins (for Baby & Toddlers)
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose, white whole wheat, gluten free blend
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup very ripe banana mashed
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely shredded or grated
- 1/4 cup melted butter or oil, avocado, olive, vegetable, pr coconut
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Prep: Heat oven to 350° F and spray or line a mini muffin tin.
- Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Wet Ingredients: In the same bowl, add in the applesauce, mashed banana, carrots, butter, egg, and vanilla. With a spoon, gently mix until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Fill: Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, filling 3/4 way to the top.
- Bake: Place the muffin pan into the oven for 12-15 minutes or until just golden.
- Cool: Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transitioning the muffins onto a cooling rack.
- Serve and enjoy!