Healthy Chicken Nuggets with Green Bean “Fries” (toddler, kid + adult approved)
These Healthy Chicken Nuggets with Green Bean “Fries” are a perfect healthy alternative to the all-time favorite toddler and kid meal! Made with white meat chicken, whole wheat flour and breadcrumbs and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, these nuggets are super crispy and delicious. Serve with green bean “fries” for a perfectly healthy meal.
Healthy Chicken Nuggets with Green Bean “Fries”
These chicken nuggets are going to be your toddler or kids (and maybe even your) new favorite meal!
They are tender on the inside yet crispy on the outside.
Made with wholesome ingredients that are actually good for you!
Even though these nuggets are made as a healthy version, they are so delicious that they will completely satisfy any toddler or kid. Picky eaters will especially love these classic nuggets.
Now, let’s talk about these green bean “fries”, because they are legit bonkers amazing! My girls ate 3 helpings.. each! And they usually will eat one or maybe two cooked green beans. The trick is that we coat the green beans with a coating similar to the chicken nuggets – parmesan, Panko breadcrumbs and a pinch of garlic powder. Then we roast them up until they are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
These healthy chicken nuggets and green bean “fries” is one of my family’s favorites and my girls request (errr.. demand) it on the regular.
Reasons to love these Healthy Chicken Nuggets with Green Bean “Fries”
- easy to make – 25 minutes
- great for toddlers, kids and parents
- fun baby-led weaning or finger food meal
- nutrient dense
- can be made gluten-free
- healthy take on a classic dish
- tastes better than the store bought variety
- high in protein
Ingredients In these healthy chicken nuggets for toddler + Kids
Chicken: we are going to use boneless-skinless chicken breasts in this recipe. You can cut them into strips, chunks or any other shape your prefer, just try to cut them all roughly the same size so the cooking time will be consistent and they will cook evenly.
White Whole Wheat Flour: you can really use any flour you prefer – all-purpose, whole white, white whole wheat or gluten free. I am using white whole wheat flour in this recipe because it has more nutrients than all-purpose but still gives the nuggets a great taste.
Whole Wheat Panko Breadcrumbs: we are using whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs to give these more crunchy and nutrients, but you can use whichever breadcrumbs you have on hand.
Parmesan: I love using parmesan cheese in my chicken nugget recipe to give it a little salty flavor but also because it makes the nuggets super crunchy.
Paprika: a pinch of paprika is used for flavor and color.
Egg: used as a binding ingredient, but also gives a little more protein to this meal.
HOW TO MAKE healthy chicken nuggets
- Make the Coating: in 3 separate small bowls, mix together the flour and paprika, whisk the egg and mix together the breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- Drudge the Chicken: so dramatic sounding, but you are just going to dip the chicken in the flour mixture, then the egg and then finally the breadcrumbs.
- Bake: place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
More Recipes You Will Love
- The Ultimate Guide of Finger Foods for Baby
- 15 Healthy Finger Foods for Toddlers (that they will love)
- 4 Baby-Led Weaning Snack Food Ideas (easy & healthy)
- 6 Baby-Led Weaning Breakfast Ideas
- Spiced Blender Pancakes for Baby + Toddler
- Roasted Root Vegetables for Baby + Toddler
Get the recipe: Healthy Chicken Nuggets with Green Bean “Fries”
For Chicken Nuggets
- 1/2 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
- salt and pepper to taste (optional)
For Green Bean “Fries”
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray or line a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour and paprika. In another small bowl, whisk the egg. In another small bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper (if using).
- One at a time, add a piece of chicken to the flour and toss until coated, shaking off any excess flour. Then dip the chicken into the egg until coated. Then toss the chicken into the breadcrumb mixture until completely coated. Place the finished nugget on one side of the baking sheet. Continue this process until all of the chicken pieces are coated and are on one side of the baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the green beans, oil, parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs and garlic powder. Place the green beans in a single layer on the other side of the baking sheet as the chicken nuggets.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, flipping half way through baking time, or until the chicken nuggets are golden brown and cooked all the way through.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @babyfoode on Instagram and hashtag it #babyfoode!
4 Comments on “Healthy Chicken Nuggets with Green Bean “Fries” (toddler, kid + adult approved)”
These look great. I like the base seasoning and will incorporate it into my own. To make it even more healthy, i zest up zucchini, wring out some of the juice and add it to the meat. My daughter loves it even though she isn’t the biggest zucchini fan. =)
Love this idea!
What is a good egg alternative for egg allergy?
Any reason why a 9 month old coudn’t eat this if cut up into finger food size pieces?