This Pears + Prunes + Cloves Baby Food Puree recipe is a tasty puree that will help cure baby constipation right up!
As you know, we started feeding baby Parker about a month ago (if not, catch up here and here) and while it has been beyond fun to see her amazing reactions to the new foods we have introduced, some of pure delight while others of pure terror, there is one thing I completely forgot about when starting to introduce purees to baby – the constipation that will most likely follow.
For most parents, constipation can be a troubling concern, especially because symptoms usually appear at 3am.
While their little bellies might be going MORE MORE MORE, their delicate intestines are saying WHOA THERE COWBABY, EASY DOES IT.
It takes a while for baby’s digestive system to catch up with their stomach, so while a backed up baby is unnerving, it is nothing to completely freak out about.
While prune juice was my go to for Ellie when she was a baby, I wanted to come up with a natural food remedy for this go around.
Enter this pear and prune puree – a totally natural remedy for baby (and toddler) constipation.
Because both pears and prunes are packed with natural laxatives and fiber they help get things going down there.
And while I am calling this the Constipation Cure Puree, you can really make and serve this puree anytime because it is soooooo good.
Sweet pears are steamed until just tender and then pureed with re-hydreated prunes and a dash of cloves to make this ‘medicine’ actually taste like a dessert.
I served it at dinner to Parker but it wasn’t long before we all had our own bowls and were licking them clean.
Here are the foods that we have introduced to Baby Parker so far:
Avocado – smashed
Bananas – smashed
Egg Yolks smashed and mixed with breast milk
Apples with Cinnamon
Apple and Pears with Cinnamon
Sweet Potatoes with Nutmeg
MORE BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- The Ultimate Guide on How to Make and Serve Baby Food
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Roasted Butternut Squash + Thyme Baby Food Puree
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW! I WANT TO SEE YOUR YUMMY CREATIONS! SNAP A PIC AND SHARE IT HERE ON PINTEREST
PEARS + PRUNES + CLOVES BABY FOOD PUREE (CONSTIPATION CURE PUREE)
- 2 pears cored and chopped
- 4 dried prunes pitted
- 1 cup hot water
- pinch ground cloves
- Fill a medium saucepan with 2 inches of water, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Place the pears in a steamer basket over the boiling water, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, place the prunes and hot water, and let sit for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Add the pears, prunes and cloves into blender or food processor and puree until smooth, adding water from steamer in 1/4 cup increments, if needed.
NEW TO MAKING PUREES?
THEN CHECK OF MY GUIDE ON WHICH KITCHEN TOOLS YOU ACTUALLY ARE GOING TO NEED TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST AND SMOOTHEST BABY PUREES. HINT, IT’S NOT MANY!