This Carrot + Nutmeg Baby Food Puree is a great starter puree for baby! Filled with nutritious carrots and a pinch of nutmeg – this puree will sure to delight your little ones taste buds! Great baby food for 4 months and up – stage 1 baby food.
Updated Post – photos and content have been updated from the original October 2013 post! You can read the original post at the very bottom.
A baby food puree that is sssoooooo fresh, colorful and full of essential nutrients for baby that it’s almost too intense to look at.. seriously #nofilter
But believe me, this carrot puree is foreal!
This fresh tasting homemade puree is made with steamed carrots and a pinch of nutmeg to bring out the earthiness of the carrots – a combo just made for each other.
If you compared the color, taste or texture of this homemade recipe to it’s store bought counterpart, you would be shocked at the difference.. and not in a good way.
And then you would be completely hooked on making your little one their own homemade baby food purees – the difference is real.
Only the best for our babes!
REASONS TO LOVE THIS Carrot + Nutmeg BABY FOOD RECIPE:
- creamy and smooth
- nutrient dense – high in fiber, folate and vitamins A, K and B6
- baby food for 4 months and up – stage 1 baby food puree
- fast to make – done in less than 20 minutes
- great for baby’s first bite
- tastes great – baby will love it
How to Make this Carrot + Nutmeg Baby Food Puree:
- peel and roughly chop the carrots
- place the carrots inside a steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes or until tender
- transfer them to a blender, add in nutmeg
- puree until smooth, adding water if needed
- serve or freeze for later
MORE STARTER BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- Apple + Cinnamon Baby Food Puree
- Roasted Butternut Squash + Thyme Baby Food Puree
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW! I WANT TO SEE YOUR YUMMY CREATIONS! SNAP A PIC AND SHARE IT HERE ON PINTEREST
Carrot + Nutmeg Baby Food Puree
- 2 lbs carrots trimmed, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 – 1 cup water reserved water, breast milk, formula or stock
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2″ of water to a boil over medium heat. Place the carrots into a steamer, cover and cook for 9-11 minutes or until tender. Reserve steamer water. Let cool slightly.
- Place the carrots, nutmeg and 1/2 cup of liquid into a blender or food processor and puree for 1-2 minutes on high, adding 1/4 cup liquid at a time until you achieve desired consistency.
NEW TO MAKING PUREES?
THEN CHECK OF MY GUIDE ON WHICH KITCHEN TOOLS YOU ACTUALLY ARE GOING TO NEED TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST AND SMOOTHEST BABY PUREES. HINT, IT’S NOT MANY!
Original Post –
If I could have food best friends, carrots would be one of them. Apples the other.
Together they would be the mecka of friends. My homies, my posse, my go-to-peeps in a time of need.
Sorry other yummy fruits and vegetables, I love you dearly, but that is just how it is.
Apples and Carrots are my BFs forever.
Don’t worry, I am sure that I will someday post a recipe using both of them, I mean why not have a recipe made from an immense amount of love. But for right now, I am sticking to just carrots. Don’t worry, they are good enough to eat over and over again all by themselves.
Carrots are versatile little gems of a vegetable that pretty much go with anything – kale, potatoes, pears, quinoa, beans, chicken, barley, rice, squash, bananas, yogurt. The list goes on and on. You can also cook them almost anyway – sauté, steam, roast, stir fry, boil or simply eat raw.
And they are cheap. Like really cheap. Dirt cheap. At just over 10 cents an ounce for organic, they are probably the cheapest baby food you can make. BUT they are also full of nutrients like Beta Carotene, Vitamin A, K, C, B6, Fiber, Potassium and Manganese.
Now do you see why I heart them so much?
They are amazing any way you look at them. They are the type of friend that makes you a better person.