This Pea Baby Puree with mint is a smooth and mild baby food puree that is perfect for baby’s first bite! A green puree that baby will love! Great baby food for 4 months and up – stage 1 baby food!
Homemade PEA Puree
Don’t get caught up on what you think pea baby food is going to taste like.
Store-bought brands can be thick and lumpy, with a strong acidic taste of overly cooked peas. And.. don’t even get me started on the smell 🤢!
But this homemade pea puree is everything! And trust me.. tastes nothing like you expect it to 👏!
This pea baby food is beyond delicious😋!
Smooth and creamy with a mild pea taste that has a hint of freshness from the mint.
Bright and cheerful to look at! It will actually put a smile on your and baby’s face 😁.
Reasons to Love this Pea Baby Puree
- great baby food for 4+ months
- starter puree
- 3 simple ingredients
- super smooth and creamy
- delicious green puree
- easy to make – less than 10 minutes
- organic – can easily (and cheaply) use organic peas and zucchini
- can use fresh or frozen peas
Peas – are a great source of protein, fiber, vitamins K and C. They help promote healthy digestion and may protect against cancer.
Zucchini – while this is a 2 vegetable starter puree, zucchini allergies are very low, so I added it to this recipe to give the peas a mild taste and smoother creamier texture. You can completely leave it out if you prefer. Just steam the peas as directed below.
Mint – is a great herb to add to baby food because it helps soothe an upset stomach, improves digestion, improves mental awareness and focus and is rich in nutrients. Adding mint to this puree is entirely optional.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PEAS
- An excellent source of protein.
- Contains a good amount of fiber which helps with digestion.
- An array of micronutrients, such as thiamine, manganese, vitamin K and C.
- A good source of antioxidants.
How to make Pea Puree:
- Bring Water To Boil: Bring a saucepan with a little water to a boil
- Steam Zucchini: Add chopped zucchini (if using) to a steamer basket, cover and steam for 5 minutes.
- Steam Peas: Add in the peas (fresh or frozen) and steam for another 3-5 minutes.
- Let Cool: let cool slightly and reserve steamer water.
- Transfer to Blender: transfer the cooked peas and zucchini to the blender or food processor.
- Add Mint: add in the chopped mint or other spice.
- Puree: puree until smooth or creamy, adding in reserved water if needed.
- Serve or Freeze
can you use frozen peas for baby food?
Yes, you can definitely use frozen peas in baby food! For this recipe, I added the frozen peas straight into the steamer basket to cook along with the zucchini. You can also freeze the peas once they are cooked and pureed.
OTHER COOKING METHODS
While I love the fresh flavor of steamed peas with mint, there are several different ways you can cook peas for baby food.
In a medium skillet, add in the 2 cups of frozen peas. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring often. Puree in a blender as directed below.
Place 2 cups of peas into a medium saucepan, add enough water to cover the peas and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes or when tender. Puree in a blender as directed below.
GREAT PEA COMBINATION PUREES
While this Pea Puree is great by itself, it’s also super easy to mix and match with other nutrient-dense baby food purees. Give these fun flavor combos a try!
- Quinoa Baby Cereal
- Fennel and Peaches
- Green Beans
- Soften Tofu
HOW TO STORE PEA BABY FOOD
You can store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
This puree can be frozen for up to 4 months.
- Spoon puree into a freezer storage container (this and this are my favorite freezer storage containers) – do not overfill.
- Place the lid on the storage container or cover with a piece of saran wrap and label with date and recipe name.
- Place the tray into the freezer and let freeze completely – preferably overnight.
- Pop-out the baby food cubes and place in a zip-lock baggie or stasher bag – don’t forget to re-label the baggie or stager bag for future reference.
MORE STARTER BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Sweet Potato Baby Puree – 3 Delicious Ways
TOOLS YOU’LL NEED
DID YOU MAKE THIS PEA BABY FOOD PUREE?
I’D LOVE TO KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT! LEAVE A COMMENT AND A ⭐️ RATING BELOW 👇
Pea Baby Puree (stage one)
- 2 cups peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 medium zucchini, roughly chopped (optional)
- 4 mint leaves, roughly chopped (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2″ of water to a boil over medium heat. Place the zucchini in a steamer basket, and place over boiling water. Cover and steam for 5 minutes.
- Add in the peas, and steam for an additional 3-5 minutes. Reserve steamer water. Let cool slightly.
- Add the zucchini, peas and mint leaves to a blender or food processor and puree for 1 minute or until you have achieved the desired texture. If the puree is too thick, add in 1/4 cup of the reserved steamer water until you have the right consistency.