This Pea + Mint Baby Food Puree is a smooth and mild puree that is perfect for baby’s first bite! A green puree that baby will love! Great baby food for 4 months and up – stage 1 baby food!
Updated Post – original September 2013 content is at the bottom of this updated post.
PEA + Mint Baby Food Puree
Don’t get caught up on what you think pea baby food is going to taste like.
Store bought brands can be thick and lumpy, with a strong acidic taste of overly cooked peas. Don’t even get me started on the smell!
But this homemade pea puree is everything! And is nothing like those store bought baby foods.
This pea baby food is beyond delicious!
Smooth and creamy with a mild pea taste that has a hint of freshness from the mint.
Bright and cheerful to look at! It will actually put a smile on your and baby’s face:)
Benefits of Peas –
Peas are a great source of protein, fiber, vitamins K and C. They help promote healthy digestion and may protect against cancer.
Benefits of Mint –
Mint is a great herb to add to baby food because it helps soothe an upset stomach, improves digestion, improves mental awareness and focus and is rich in nutrients.
Reasons to Love this Pea + Mint Baby Food Puree:
- great baby food for 4+ months
- starter puree
- super smooth and creamy
- delicious green puree
- easy to make – less than 10 minutes
- organic – can easily (and cheaply) use organic peas and zucchini
- can use fresh or frozen peas
How to make this Pea + Mint Baby Food Puree:
- bring a saucepan with a little water to a boil
- add chopped zucchini to a steamer basket
- steam for 5 minutes
- add in peas – fresh or frozen
- steam for another 3-5 minutes
- let cool slightly
- transfer to blender or food processor
- add in mint
- puree until smooth or creamy
- serve or freeze
MORE STARTER BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Sweet Potato Baby Puree – 3 Delicious Ways
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW! I WANT TO SEE YOUR YUMMY CREATIONS! SNAP A PIC AND SHARE IT HERE ON PINTEREST
Pea + Mint Baby Food Puree
- 2 cups peas fresh or frozen
- 1 medium zucchini roughly chopped
- 4 mint leaves roughly chopped
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2″ of water to a boil over medium heat. Place the zucchini in a steamer basket, and place over boiling water. Cover and steam for 5 minutes.
- Add in the peas, and steam for and additional 3-5 minutes. Reserve steamer water. Let cool slightly.
- Add the zucchini, peas and mint leaves to a blender or food processor and puree for 1 minute or until you have achieved desire texture. If puree is too thick, add in 1/4 cup of the reserved steamer water until you have the right consistency.
NEW TO MAKING PUREES?
THEN CHECK OF MY GUIDE ON WHICH KITCHEN TOOLS YOU ACTUALLY ARE GOING TO NEED TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST AND SMOOTHEST BABY PUREES. HINT, IT’S NOT MANY!
This recipe is for my mom. In fact, all the recipes on Monday for the next couple of weeks are going to be for my mom, Mom Monday let’s call it. You see, my mom likes things simple.
A few great ingredients cooked to bring out their natural taste and maybe, just maybe a pinch of this or that spice. So, in honor of my mom. We are going to make Monday’s simple.
Let’s face the facts. Mondays are busy enough that we don’t need to complicate things. I can barely get out of the house on Mondays fully dressed, teeth brushed and with a wallet, let alone worry about what’s for dinner.
Who me complicate matters?
So we are going to start with peas, and because I find a puree with only peas a bit overwhelming, we are going to add some steamed zucchini to balance it out. Then if you have it, add some mint. Don’t have it, don’t worry about it.
Un-complicated. I might be able to do this.
You can make this puree in less then 15 minutes and it can be added to brown rice, quinoa, or other grain. But then again, you can serve it just as it is. No worries.