This Broccoli + Olive Oil Baby Food recipe is a great way to introduce healthy green vegetables into baby’s diet. A delicious puree that is full of essential vitamins and healthy fats for a growing baby. If you’re looking for an easy green starter puree for baby, this is it! Great baby food for 4 months and older – stage 1 baby food!
Broccoli Baby Food
Broccoli just isn’t my thing.
I like the thought of it – a super green vegetable that is full of iron, calcium, vitamin C and folate that can reduce the risks of asthma and cancer and can help boost your immune system, but in reality, I just can’t get into it.
We all have our thing, broccoli no matter how many times I try it, just isn’t mine.
But that doesn’t mean that I won’t buy it and serve it to my baby.
I won’t let my weird aversion to an awesome vegetable deter my baby from being able to experience and make a judgment for herself on whether she likes it or not. She will probably love it and then hold it over my head for the rest of her life.
To that I say, game on baby!
At first bite, baby Parker gave some rather perplexed looks to this new puree but when served alongside a peach puree and a beet puree, she quickly gobbled it up… like in gobbled up not 1 but 2 servings of this tasty green puree!! Turns out that baby Parker loves her some broccoli puree!
Broccoli eating score –
Baby – 1
Mom – 0
Reasons to Love this Broccoli Baby Food:
- nutrient-dense – fiber, antioxidants, folate, potassium and vitamin C
- creamy green puree baby will love
- filled with healthy fats for baby’s growing brain and bones
- 4+ months and older
- stage 1 baby food puree
- Prep Broccoli: roughly chop a bunch of broccoli and one small apple or white potato.
- Steam: place the broccoli and potato/apple into a steamer basket and steam until tender.
- Puree: transfer cooked produce into a blender or food processor and add a drizzle of olive oil. Puree until smooth.
- Serve or freeze.
OTHER COOKING METHODS
While I love the clean flavor of steamed broccoli, there are several different ways you can cook broccoli for baby food.
Place broccoli and small chunks of potato onto a baking sheet and roast in the oven at 425 degrees F, for 20-25 minutes or tender when pricked with a fork. Puree in a blender as directed below.
Bring medium saucepan filled with water to a boil, add in the potato and cook for 6 minutes, then add in the broccoli and cook for 2 minute or when tender with pricked with a fork. Drain the water, le cool slightly. Puree in a blender as directed below.
In this recipe, we are adding in a small drizzle of high-quality olive oil into the puree, but feel free to use the following spices instead – chopped chives, mint leaves, chopped cilantro, cumin or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Tip on Spices: I always added in spices to my baby food purees, but you can add or leave out spices in all of your baby food. You do you! Either way, this puree will taste amazing.
Other ways to serve this puree to baby + toddler
- Mix with a serving of chicken puree for baby’s first chicken and broccoli meal.
- Add frozen cubes of broccoli puree into a toddler smoothie with pineapple, almond milk, spinach and an apple.
- Mixed into some cooked quinoa for a hearty chunky stage 3 puree.
- Swirl puree into some beet and apple puree for a bright and tasty baby puree combo.
HOW TO STORE BROCCOLI BABY FOOD
You can store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
This puree can be frozen for up to 4 months.
- Spoon puree into a freezer storage container (this and this are my favorite freezer storage containers) – do not overfill.
- Place the lid on the storage container or cover with a piece of saran wrap and label with date and recipe name.
- Place the tray into the freezer and let freeze completely – preferably overnight.
- Pop-out the baby food cubes and place in a zip-lock baggie or stasher bag – don’t forget to re-label the baggie or stager bag for future reference.
GREAT BROCCOLI COMBINATION PUREES
While Broccoli Baby Food is great by itself, it’s also super easy to mix and match with other nutrient-dense baby food purees. Give these fun flavor combos a try!
MORE BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Roasted Butternut Squash + Thyme Baby Food Puree
Tools Used for this Recipe
DID YOU MAKE THIS SWEET POTATO BABY FOOD PUREE?
I’D LOVE TO KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT! LEAVE A COMMENT AND A ⭐️ RATING BELOW 👇
Broccoli Baby Food
- 2 cups broccoli chopped into small florets.
- 1 small white potato or apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp good quality olive oil (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a boil over medium heat.
- Place the broccoli and potato (or apple) into a steamer basket and place over boiling water, cover and steam for 10-12 minutes or until the broccoli and potato are tender. Reserve water from the steamer. Let cool slightly.
- Add the broccoli, potato and olive oil into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth, adding water from steamer in 1/4 cup increments if needed.
NEW TO MAKING PUREES?
THEN CHECK OF MY GUIDE ON WHICH KITCHEN TOOLS YOU ACTUALLY ARE GOING TO NEED TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST AND SMOOTHEST BABY PUREES. HINT, IT’S NOT MANY!