This Broccoli + Olive Oil Baby Food recipe is a great way to introduce healthy green vegetables into baby’s diet. A delicious puree that is full of essential vitamins and healthy fats for a growing baby. If you’re looking for an easy green starter puree for baby, this is it! Great baby food for 4 months and older – stage 1 baby food!
Broccoli Baby Food
Broccoli just isn’t my thing.
I like the thought of it – a super green vegetable that is full of iron, calcium, vitamin C and folate that can reduce the risks of asthma and cancer and can help boost your immune system, but in reality, I just can’t get into it.
We all have our thing, broccoli no matter how many times I try it, just isn’t mine.
But that doesn’t mean that I won’t buy it and serve it to my baby.
I won’t let my weird aversion to an awesome vegetable deter my baby from being able to experience and make a judgment for herself on whether she likes it or not. She will probably love it and then hold it over my head for the rest of her life.
To that I say, game on baby!
At first bite, baby Parker gave some rather perplexed looks to this new puree but when served alongside a peach puree and a beet puree, she quickly gobbled it up… like in gobbled up not 1 but 2 servings of this tasty green puree!! Turns out that baby Parker loves her some broccoli puree!
Broccoli eating score –
Baby – 1
Mom – 0
How to Make this Broccoli + Olive Oil Baby Food Recipe:
- chop a bunch of broccoli and one small apple or white potato into smallish pieces
- place in a steamer basket and steam until tender
- transfer to a blender or food processor and add a drizzle of olive oil
- puree until smooth
- serve to baby or freeze
Other great ways to serve this puree to baby + toddler:
- Mix with a serving of chicken puree for baby’s first chicken and broccoli meal.
- Add frozen cubes of broccoli puree into a toddler smoothie with pineapple, almond milk, spinach and an apple.
- Mixed into some cooked quinoa for a hearty chunky stage 3 puree.
- Swirl puree into some beet and apple puree for a bright and tasty baby puree combo.
Reasons to Love this Broccoli + Olive Oil Baby Puree:
- nutrient-dense – fiber, antioxidants, folate, potassium and vitamin C
- creamy green puree baby will love
- filled with healthy fats for baby’s growing brain and bones
- 4+ months and older
- stage 1 baby food puree
MORE BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Roasted Butternut Squash + Thyme Baby Food Puree
Tools Used for this Recipe
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW! I WANT TO SEE YOUR YUMMY CREATIONS! SNAP A PIC AND SHARE IT HERE ON PINTEREST
BROCCOLI + OLIVE OIL PUREE
- 2 cups broccoli chopped into small florets.
- 1 small white potato or apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp good quality olive oil (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a boil over medium heat.
- Place the broccoli and potato (or apple) into a steamer basket and place over boiling water, cover and steam for 10-12 minutes or until the broccoli and potato are tender. Reserve water from the steamer. Let cool slightly.
- Add the broccoli, potato and olive oil into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth, adding water from steamer in 1/4 cup increments if needed.
NEW TO MAKING PUREES?
THEN CHECK OF MY GUIDE ON WHICH KITCHEN TOOLS YOU ACTUALLY ARE GOING TO NEED TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST AND SMOOTHEST BABY PUREES. HINT, IT’S NOT MANY!