This homemade Pear + Cardamom Baby Food Puree is so creamy and delicious that you will want to eat it as well! A healthy puree filled with wholesome pears that is a wonderful first puree for baby.
Updated Post – original October 2013 content is at the bottom of this updated post.
I first posted this pear puree recipe 6 years ago!
Excuse me while I stare off into space while scratching my head – I’m just trying to figure out where time has gone.
I can’t tell you how many times in the last 6 years that I have made this puree – 10? 20? 100? It’s so damn delicious that I am still making this for my girls (who are now 7 and 5) because they still request this baby puree for a snack.
Who am I kidding? As I write this post, I have a bowl of this warm pear puree sitting next to me and I am devouring it.
It really is that delicious!
To get to this level of yumminess is actually really easy! We take chunks of pear, a pinch of cardamom and a splash of water and simmer them all together until the pears are tender and filled with their own natural juices. Then we puree them in a blender for 1-2 minutes because we are aiming for a super smooth texture. All that time in the blender gets the puree to an almost frothy state, so light it’s almost got a whipped cream texture. The cardamom is kinda a random spice choice, but just trust me here. The cardamom gives the sweetness of the pears something to ground into and it balances out all of the flavors giving this puree an earthy, naturally sweet, with a slight citrus taste.
I would highly recommend you make a double batch so you have enough for both you and baby:)
Reasons to Love this Pear + cardamom Baby Food Puree:
- great baby food for 4+ months
- super smooth and creamy
- great for digestion
- easy to make – less than 20 minutes
- organic – can easily use organic pears in this recipe
How to make this Pear + Cardamom Baby Food Puree:
- peel and roughly chop the pears
- place the pear chunks, cardamom and water into a medium saucepan
- cover, and heat for 10-15 minutes or until tender
- let cool
- transfer to blender and puree until smooth
- serve, pour into freezer trays or reusable pouches
MORE STARTER BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Sweet Potato Baby Puree – 3 Delicious Ways
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW! I WANT TO SEE YOUR YUMMY CREATIONS! SNAP A PIC AND SHARE IT HERE ON PINTEREST
PEAR + CARDAMOM BABY FOOD PUREE
- 6 pears peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 cup water
- In a medium saucepan, place the pears, cardamon and water, cover and heat on medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until tender. Let cool slightly.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop the pears out of saucepan, leaving water behind, and into a blender or food processor. Blend for 1-2 minutes until you have desired consistency. If your pear puree is too thick, add the left over cooking water in 1/4 cup increments.
NEW TO MAKING PUREES?
THEN CHECK OF MY GUIDE ON WHICH KITCHEN TOOLS YOU ACTUALLY ARE GOING TO NEED TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST AND SMOOTHEST BABY PUREES. HINT, IT’S NOT MANY!
Original Post from October 2013:
This week, is just plain crazy. My calendar is booked, double booked on occasion. Too much fun for a span of 168 hours. It’s okay. I can handle it.
You get used to these kinds of weeks when you have babies, well maybe not used to them but you forget what is was like a few years ago hanging out in your pj’s on the weekends until noon, then getting dressed and out for a late brunch with bottomless mimosas followed of course by a nap. Well rested, you lay there and maybe read but mostly just stare at the ceiling thinking, dreaming. Then it’s on to some friends house for a dinner and some wine. Remember those days? Nah. Me either.
Now with babies/toddlers/kids, your day starts like a storm siren and you get caught in a tornado of craziness that lasts until they f.i.n.a.l.l.y go to bed. They never quit. Never sit still. Never pick up their own messes. It’s okay. They do it to all of us.
Knowing that it was getting crazy this week, and trying to stay on top of it all, I made a batch of this pears + cardamom puree.
Oh, sweet pears mixed with just a pinch of spicy cardamom. We mixed it with yogurt, we put some into reusable pouches, we ate it straight.
It didn’t even last 2 days.
There goes my plan for staying on top of this week.