This Pear Baby Puree is so creamy and delicious that you will want to eat it as well! A healthy and homemade puree filled with wholesome pears that is a wonderful first puree for baby. Great for 4+ months – Stage One baby food.
PEAR BABY FOOD PUREE
This puree is really achieving the next level of yumminess that we all need in our lives right now 👊!
A simple puree filled with simmered pears paired with a pinch of warming spices. A delicious combo that easily hits the one-for-one status – one bite for baby 👶, one bite for you 👩!
Reasons to Love this Pear Baby Puree:
- great baby food for 4+ months
- super smooth and creamy
- great for digestion
- easy to make – less than 20 minutes
- organic – can easily use organic pears in this recipe
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PEARS
- High Source of immune-boosting vitamin C.
- Great source of fiber, to help with digestion and improves constipation.
- Protect baby’s heart by providing antioxidants, vitamins and fiber.
- A good source of vitamin K to help strengthen bones.
- Pears: any easy to find and inexpensive fruit that can be found at almost any grocery store year-round. You can use any pear variety you prefer for this recipe. Since organic pears are just a fraction more then conventional, I would recommend going with an organic variety, but that is completely up to you.
- Warming Spice: we are kicking up the flavor profile of the pears by pairing them with a warming spice such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves or cardamom. You don’t add them all, just pick one and add a pinch. Trust me, they all taste amazing with pears and I will not at all be surprised if I find you in your kitchen eating a bowl of this puree;). But you can always skip adding in the spices to your baby food if you prefer (see more below).
Type of Pears to Use: while my favorite pear to use for this recipe is Bartlett pears, you can use any type of pear you prefer – Bosc Pear, Taylor’s Gold Pear, Anjous Pear, Asian Pear or Comice.
- Prep: peel and roughly chop the pears.
- Mix: place the pear chunks, spices (if using) and water into a medium saucepan.
- Cook: cover, and heat for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Blend: let cool slightly and then transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Eat: serve or freeze for another meal.
OTHER COOKING METHODS
While I love the crisp and slightly sweet flavor of simmered pears, there are several different ways you can cook pears for baby food.
Peel and roughly chop 6 pears before placing the cubes into a steamer basket over 2 inches of boiling water for 8-10, or tender when pricked with a fork. Puree in a blender as directed below.
Place 6 cut in half pears into a medium roasting tray, cut side down. Add enough water to cover the very bottom of the tray. Cook at 400 degrees F, for 30-40 minutes or until tender when pricked with a fork. Puree in a blender as directed below.
While the most popular option is adding cinnamon to pear baby food, you can also add in cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, fresh mint, fresh basil, freshly grated ginger or even allspice (see quantity recommendations in the recipe card).
Tip on Spices: I always added spices to my baby food purees, but you can add or leave out spices in all of your baby food. You do you! Either way, this puree will taste amazing.
HOW TO STORE PEAR PUREE
You can store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
This puree can be frozen for up to 4 months.
- Spoon puree into a freezer storage container (this and this are my favorite freezer storage containers) – do not overfill.
- Place the lid on the storage container or cover with a piece of saran wrap and label with date and recipe name.
- Place the tray into the freezer and let freeze completely – preferably overnight.
- Pop-out the baby food cubes and place in a zip-lock baggie or stasher bag – don’t forget to re-label the baggie or stager bag for future reference.
GREAT PEAR COMBINATION PUREES
While Pear Puree is great by itself, it’s also super easy to mix and match with other nutrient-dense baby food purees. Give these fun flavor combos a try!
- Quinoa Baby Cereal
- Sweet Potato
- Soften Tofu
MORE BABY FOOD
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Ultimate Guide on How to Make Homemade Baby Food
DID YOU MAKE THIS PEAR PUREE?
I’D LOVE TO KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT! LEAVE A COMMENT AND A ⭐️ RATING BELOW 👇
Pear Baby Food Puree
- 6 pears
- 1/8 tsp cardamom or other spice (see notes)
- 1/4 cup water
- Prep: peel and roughly chop the pears.
- Combine: place the pear chunks, spices (if using) and water into a medium saucepan, cover.
- Cook: heat on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes or until tender when pricked with a fork
- Transfer: let cool slightly. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the pears out of the saucepan, leaving the excess water behind, and place in a blender or food processor.
- Blend: turn on the machine and blend for 1-2 minutes until you have your desired consistency. If your pear puree is too thick, add the leftover cooking water in 1/4 cup increments.
- Eat: serve to baby or freeze for another meal.