This smooth and creamy Homemade Quinoa Baby Cereal recipe has an earthy and robust taste and is loaded with protein, fiber, iron and magnesium. It’s great served as a meal itself or mixed with baby’s favorite fruit or vegetable puree. Baby food for 4 months and up – stage 1 baby food.
Baby cereal doesn’t have to be plain and boring!
No way! Not for our babies!
Not only do we want a delicious tasting baby cereal, but we also want it to be loaded with nutrients to help our growing babies. Are we asking too much? I don’t think so!
Enter our trusted superfood grain – quinoa!
Nutrients in this Homemade Baby Cereal:
Quinoa is so healthy that it literally has superpowers!
- Protein – quinoa is a great source of protein for baby. Protein helps support the growth and development of babies.
- Fiber – quinoa contains almost twice as much fiber as other grains, which makes it great for babies sensitive digestive organs and helps things get going ‘down there’ in a gentle way.
- Iron – quinoa has extremely high levels of iron, which is especially important for babies around 6 months of age as their iron reserves start to diminish. Quinoa is a natural way to boost their reserves without using iron-fortified products (which I am against).
Magnesium – quinoa is rich is magnesium, which aids in bone and teeth growth.
- Lysine – quinoa contains a good amount of lysine, which helps with tissue growth and repair. A must have for babies as they learn to crawl, walk and run.
How to make this Quinoa Baby Cereal:
Besides all of the amazing health benefits from quinoa, it is also a super easy baby cereal to make.
- make a batch of your favorite quinoa – I made this recipe using the trio color blend, but any color of quinoa will work with this recipe.
- transfer the cooked quinoa into the blender
- add in a little water, broth or breast milk
- puree for a minute or so until it is nice and smooth
- serve straight away, or freeze the cereal into cubes for easy use on another day
Great purees to pair Homemade Quinoa Cereal with –
MORE BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Roasted Butternut Squash + Thyme Baby Food Puree
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW! I WANT TO SEE YOUR YUMMY CREATIONS! SNAP A PIC AND SHARE IT HERE ON PINTEREST
HOMEMADE QUINOA BABY CEREAL
- 1 cup water broth, formula or breast milk
- 1/2 cup quinoa see notes
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add quinoa and stir. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 12 minutes. Take off of heat, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Transfer all of the quinoa to a blender or food processor and puree for 2 minutes for a completely smooth puree or pulse for 1 minute for a chunky puree. If puree is too thick, you may need to add in additional liquid. Start by adding in 1 tablespoon of liquid in at a time until you reach your desired consistency. I had to add in 5 tablespoons to get the perfect consistency for me.
- Serve or spoon into freezer storage trays and freeze for future use.