This homemade Roasted Butternut Squash + Thyme Baby Food Puree recipe is not only full of calcium, folate, vitamin A and fiber but it is also a deliciously smooth way to introduce butternut squash to your baby! Great baby food for 4 months and up – stage 1 baby food!
Hope you had a great week and are planning some holiday family fun for the weekend. Here is a super quick puree recipe for you.
And before you yell at me telling me that this recipe takes almost and hour to make (therefore not at all a fast), let me point out that your actual-hands on time is just under 5 minutes, depending on how fast you can Ginsu knife through the butternut squash’s tough shell.
Beside you can use that extra 52 minutes in the kitchen for other important tasks –
12 minutes – drink a glass of wine while browsing through Pinterest
3 minutes – realize that you do not have one single holiday craft planned for your baby/toddler
5 minutes – feel like a bad mother
3 minutes – silently pout
15 minutes – bust into a container of frozen cookie dough. Devour all but one cookies worth of dough to make yourself feel better. Replace container and tell no one.
13 minutes – pour yourself another glass of wine, sip and repeat.
So besides providing your little one with a puree that is full with calcium, folate, vitamin A and fiber, it will give you some alone time to have a drink and realize that you cannot possibly do it all.
It is also hands down one of the very best first foods recipe for baby, so there is that.
Roasting the butternut squash in my book is essential. The extreme heat of the oven brings out a rich, carmel flavor from the condensed sugars of the squash while leaving a ton of room for you to pick a spice that will compliment it perfectly. Nutmeg, rosemary, sage, cinnamon, thyme, cloves, chives are all spices and herbs that work well with roasted butternut squash. So basically, whatever you have on hand will work for kicking this puree up a notch.
So while you don’t have to do every craft project you have pinned on your Holiday Magic Board, you do have to make this amazing puree.
MORE BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW! I WANT TO SEE YOUR YUMMY CREATIONS! SNAP A PIC AND SHARE IT HERE ON PINTEREST
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH + THYME PUREE
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 tsp fresh thyme roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Line baking sheet with silicon mat or tin foil.
- Cut butternut squash in half, deseed and place flesh side up, skin side down. Optional – Feel free to drizzle the squash with 2 teaspoons of olive oil for some added healthy fat.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until you can easily prick the squash with a fork.
- Let cool until you can handle the squash with your hands.
- Scrape the flesh off of the skin and place in a blender or food processor. Add thyme and puree, adding water in 1/4 cup increments until you have desired consistency.
NEW TO MAKING PUREES?
THEN CHECK OF MY GUIDE ON WHICH KITCHEN TOOLS YOU ACTUALLY ARE GOING TO NEED TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST AND SMOOTHEST BABY PUREES. HINT, IT’S NOT MANY!
This homemade Roasted Butternut Squash + Thyme Baby Food Recipe is not only full of calcium, folate, vitamin A and fiber but it is also a deliciously smooth way to introduce butternut squash to your baby! Baby will gobble up this healthy, homemade fall recipe! #puree #babyfood