This homemade Roasted Butternut Squash Baby Food Puree recipe is not only full of calcium, folate, vitamin A and fiber but it is also a deliciously smooth way to introduce butternut squash to your baby! Great baby food for 4 months and up – stage 1 baby food!
Butternut Squash Baby Food
This butternut squash puree is a super simple recipe that involves roughly 5 minutes of hands-on time 🖐!
The rest of the time, we let the oven do all the hard work. Cuz why would we work harder 💪 when we can work smarter 🙋♀️!
Butternut squash is full of calcium, folate, vitamin A and fiber and is considered one of the very best first foods for baby!
REASONS TO LOVE BUTTERNUT SQUASH PUREE
- creamy and smooth
- great for 4+ months
- stage one baby food
- healthy – full of essential nutrients for baby
- easy to make – 5 minutes of hands-on time
- baby loves the sweet and earthy taste
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- A good source of antioxidants and vitamin A which boosts the immune system and reduces inflammation.
- High levels of potassium which help keep bones healthy.
- Contains a protein that is a potent anticancer agent.
- A good source of calcium to help strengthen bones.
- Butternut Squash: any easy to find and inexpensive squash that makes for a nutrient-dense food for baby! When selecting butternut squash, look for a firm squash that has a solid beige color skin without bruising or damage marks. The insides will range from bright yellow to burnt orange, so don’t be alarmed if yours is somewhere in that color range.
- Thyme or Rosemary: we are kicking up the flavor profile with a fun and fresh herb – thyme or rosemary. Either of these herbs will calm down the earthiness of the squash and ramp up the freshness and citrus aspect. You can’t go wrong with either herb. But you can always skip adding in herbs and spices to your baby food if you prefer (see more below).
- Heat Oven: preheat oven and line a baking sheet.
- Prep Squash: cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place on the baking sheet (flesh side down) and brush with olive oil (optional).
- Bake: place the baking sheet in the oven and bake until easily pricked with a fork.
- Scrape: let cool and then scrape off the skin until you have just the butternut squash left. Add to blender or food processor.
- Add Herbs: add in a pinch of thyme or rosemary to the butternut squash.
- Puree: turn on the blender and puree until smooth, adding in liquids if needed.
- Serve or freeze for another meal.
OTHER COOKING METHODS
While I love the earthly caramel flavor of roasted butternut squash, there are several different ways you can cook butternut squash for baby food.
Peel and roughly chop a butternut squash before placing the cubes into a steamer basket over 2 inches of boiling water for 10-15, or tender when pricked with a fork. Puree in a blender as directed below.
Place 1 peeled and roughly chopped butternut squash into a medium saucepan, add enough water to cover the butternut squash and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 7-10 minutes or when tender with pricked with a fork. Puree in a blender as directed below.
Tip Saving Tip: Steaming or boiling butternut squash are both great methods to use if you are using prepared or frozen butternut squash. I have found both peeled and cubed fresh or frozen butternut squash in my grocery store, which are both great options if you are short on time.
In this recipe, we are adding in a pinch of chopped rosemary, but feel free to use the following spices instead – basil, cilantro, ginger, nutmeg, coriander, mint, cinnamon or mild curry powder (see quantity recommendations in the recipe card).
Tip on Spices: I always added in spices to my baby food purees, but you can add or leave out spices in all of your baby food. You do you! Either way, this puree will taste amazing.
HOW TO STORE BUTTERNUT SQUASH BABY FOOD
You can store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
This puree can be frozen for up to 4 months.
- Spoon puree into a freezer storage container (this and this are my favorite freezer storage containers) – do not overfill.
- Place the lid on the storage container or cover with a piece of saran wrap and label with date and recipe name.
- Place the tray into the freezer and let freeze completely – preferably overnight.
- Pop-out the baby food cubes and place in a zip-lock baggie or stasher bag – don’t forget to re-label the baggie or stager bag for future reference.
GREAT BUTTERNUT SQUASH COMBINATION PUREES
While Butternut Squash puree is great by itself, it’s also super easy to mix and match with other nutrient-dense baby food purees. Give these fun flavor combos a try!
- Quinoa Baby Cereal
- Sweet Potato
- Soften Tofu
MORE BABY FOOD
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- Ultimate Guide on How to Make Homemade Baby Food
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
DID YOU MAKE THIS BUTTERNUT SQUASH PUREE?
I’D LOVE TO KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT! LEAVE A COMMENT AND A ⭐️ RATING BELOW 👇
Butternut Squash Baby Food
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1-2 tsp olive oil (optional)
- 1/2-1 cup liquid (water, breast milk, formula, stock or bone broth)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Line baking sheet with a silicone mat, tin foil or parchment paper.
- Cut butternut squash in half, deseed and place flesh side up, skin side down. Optional – Feel free to drizzle the squash with 2 teaspoons of olive oil for some added healthy fat.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes or until you can easily prick the squash with a fork.
- Let cool until you can handle the squash with your hands. Scrape the flesh off of the skin and place in a blender or food processor.
- Add the thyme or rosemary to the butternut squash.
- Turn on the blender or food processor and puree, adding liquid in 1/4 cup increments until you have the desired consistency. I had to add in 3/4 cup of water to my puree shown below.
- Serve or freeze for later.
NEW TO MAKING PUREES?
THEN CHECK OF MY GUIDE ON WHICH KITCHEN TOOLS YOU ACTUALLY ARE GOING TO NEED TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST AND SMOOTHEST BABY PUREES. HINT, IT’S NOT MANY!