This Pumpkin + Thyme Baby Food Puree is a creamy and flavorful way to introduce baby to the tastes of the season! So good you can serve it plain, with a swirl of plain yogurt, cottage cheese for older babies or with a spoon full of ricotta. Great baby food for 4 months and up – stage 1 baby food.
It’s okay, go ahead and take it apart. That beautiful centerpiece or vignette on your mantel or your welcoming front porch decor. Go ahead and take a pumpkin out of there. We only need one.
Just one. You can part with it. I know you are like me and went crazy buying some at the market, then picked another couple up on your trip to the pumpkin patch and then maybe someone gave you one because they are that awesome.
Oh, right. You are normal and not hoarding pumpkins like I am. That’s cool. But then you need to run to the store and get a couple more before you only have the funky ones to pick from. And if you can only get the funky ones, that’s okay as well because we are going to start by chopping off their heads and dismembering their bodies. Mommies have to have some halloween fun as well.
Then we need to cook it. Well, roast it really. It needs to be roasted until it is sweet and buttery, bursting with flavor. Then we will puree it and mentally note that homemade pureed pumpkin looks nothing like the pumpkin in the can that I love so much.
It’s okay to be a little sad.
You will only be a little sad until you taste your puree and then you won’t even remember why you bothered with the cans in the first place. Homemade pumpkin puree is creamy with an addicting mild pumpkin flavor that is begging to be spooned either into your little ones open mouth or mixed with yogurt, oatmeal, pancakes, muffins, or apple puree.
How to make homemade pumpkin baby food puree:
- go ahead and start cooking the pumpkins you won’t be carving
- chop their heads off.. it’s halloween time after all
- chop them in half
- scoop out the guts
- chop into smaller pieces
- place on a baking sheet
- you can add in a small drizzle of olive oil for some extra healthy fats
- roast in the oven until tender
MORE STARTER BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Sweet Potato Baby Puree – 3 Delicious Ways
Pumpkin + Thyme Baby Food Puree
- 1 small pumpkin I used the pumpkin pie variety of pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme roughy chopped
- 1-2 cups water breast milk, formula or stock
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon mat.
- Cut up the pumpkin. Start by slicing off the top off the pumpkin, then cut length wise down the middle until you have 2 halves of a pumpkin. Scoop out the seeds and strings. Don’t be too obsessed with getting all the strings out, they will puree nicely with the rest of the pumpkin.
- Chop the pumpkin into smallish pieces and place onto a baking sheet, skin down. Roast in oven for 45-60 minutes or until a fork can pierce the very tender flesh. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Peel skin away from the pumpkin and place inside a food processor or blender. Add thyme and start blending for 1-2 minutes, adding water in 1/4 cup ingrements until you get desired consistency.