This homemade Basic Chicken Baby food recipe is a great addition to add to your baby’s favorite puree for extra protein and flavor! Great baby food for 4 months and up – stage 1 baby food!
This puree isn’t going to win any beauty pageants, that is for sure. It will however, win first prize in the taste category, because this puree is a taste winner!
Now, I never thought I would say that out loud about a chicken puree – chicken puree tasting good?!?!
It’s a new one for me!
Usually the thought of any sort of pureed meat gives me the heebie jeebies, but the thought of pureed meat in a jar sitting on a grocery store shelf usually pushes me waaaayyyyy over the edge and into another world of jeebies. Meat at room temperature in-a-jar is just not right.
The thing is though, meat is super good for baby. Beef, chicken, pork, liver, fish, etc, all have essential vitamins, iron, zinc, fat and protein that baby needs in order to thrive. Any meat puree is a great puree for one of baby’s first foods.
So my mission – to make meat purees that actually taste good! Like really good! Like good enough that when you lick some off the spoon you will not flinch away in horror, you will dip that spoon back into the blender and eat a couple more spoonfuls before you even start to feed baby.
Touch mission, or so I thought.
The key, I found out was not to overcook the chicken. To make this simple puree, I gently simmered some chicken breasts in chicken stock (broth would also work) with a little parsley until the chicken was juuussst cooked through.
You do not want to overcook the chicken here, that will leave it hard and chewy.
We want tender and juicy for this puree.
Once blended, the puree has enough flavor to actually taste like warm comforting chicken puree. It almost tastes like blended chicken noodle soup.. almost.
One great thing about this chicken puree, is that while it has a ton of flavor it is still flexible enough that you can mix it with any fruit, vegetable or combination puree you want, because let’s be honest, you probably won’t be serving this puree alone to your baby for every meal.
This puree is meant to be mixed into your favorite purees that you already have on rotation.
Mission of making an amazing chicken puree for baby – accomplished!
Reasons to Love this Basic Chicken Baby Food Puree recipe:
- simple yet flavorful
- packed with protein
- great to add to any other fruit or veggie puree that baby loves
- baby food for 4 months and up
- stage 1 baby food
Great Purees to add Chicken Baby Food Recipe into:
- Apple + Butternut Squash + Carrot + Curry Puree
- Mango + Apple + Dried Cherry Puree
- Carrots + Nutmeg Puree
- Fennel + Peach + Pea Puree
- Broccoli + Olive Oil Puree
MORE BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- The Ultimate Guide on How to Make and Serve Baby Food
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Roasted Butternut Squash + Thyme Baby Food Puree
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW! I WANT TO SEE YOUR YUMMY CREATIONS! SNAP A PIC AND SHARE IT HERE ON PINTEREST
BASIC CHICKEN BABY PUREE
- 1 8-ounce boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs cubed
- 1 cup chicken stock low sodium
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cubed chicken, broth and parsley to a boil over medium heat. Turn heat down to low and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through. Let cool slightly.
- Transfer the chicken to a blender or food processor and puree until you reach your desired consistency, adding in stock in 1/4 cup increments if needed.
NEW TO MAKING PUREES?
THEN CHECK OF MY GUIDE ON WHICH KITCHEN TOOLS YOU ACTUALLY ARE GOING TO NEED TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST AND SMOOTHEST BABY PUREES. HINT, IT’S NOT MANY!