12 Budget-Friendly Homemade Baby Food Recipes (75% savings on store-bought brands)
These 12 Budget-Friendly Homemade Baby Food Recipes will save you an average of 75% off of store-bought brands! Delicious food for your baby at a fraction of the price!
Budget-Friendly Baby Food Recipes
Who wants to save several hundred dollars on baby food?
I better see everyone raising their hands 🙋🙋🙋
The estimate is that the average baby goes through roughly 2500oz of purees in six months, which can cost upwards of $900 with store-bought purees. I don’t know about you, but spending almost a thousand dollars on store-bought baby food is not really on my agenda.
There are so many pairs of amazing shoes I can get with that money instead 😉👠
Especially when I can make a better quality of puree for baby at a fraction of the price!
Below you will see 12 Budget-Friendly Homemade Baby Food Recipes that I compared with store bought brands. The recipes don’t always match up perfectly, but I got as close as possible with a variety of different brands. All of the produce I priced out is organic and all of the pouches are organic as well. I did some math and equations (which kinda blew my mind) and I found out that making your own baby food purees saves you a ton of money!!!
The recipes below give you between 55-98% savings off of store-bought brands 💰
That is just crazy, I know!
And the average savings come in at 75% off of store-bought brands!!
It’s time to start saving some major money by making some homemade baby food!
Ways to Save Even More Money on Baby Food Recipes
I priced out all of the produce for the purees below at Trader Joes, which has cheaper organic produce than Whole Foods but you can certainly get cheaper organic produce at Costco or at your local grocery store. If you want to save even more money, then I would recommend shopping at several different stores and seeing what produce they have on sale each week.
I would strongly encourage you to use frozen organic produce whenever fresh produce isn’t available or is too costly. Frozen produce is picked and packaged at the peak of freshness so most of the time frozen produce is the same, if not better, quality then you can get fresh at the store. To use frozen produce in baby purees, simply place a bowl of the frozen produce on the counter or in the fridge until thawed. You can also use the defrost setting on the microwave if you are in a rush. Drain any excess water before using in a puree recipe.
Organic vs. Conventional
I always stress that it is best to use organic produce for baby’s food for the first year, but depending on where you live you might not be able to find quality organic produce at a reasonable price. If you can’t find organic produce or simply don’t have the budget for organic produce, then I would then strongly recommend using the Dirty Dozen/Clean Fifteen List as a guide for what organic produce is a must verses what conventional produce is totally fine to use. During the summer months I can usually find all organic produce at reasonable prices but in the winter I use that guide all the time when I shop for my family.
- Makes: 18 ounces
- 3 organic apple ($.99), 1 cup organic broccoli ($.57), 1 cup organic spinach ($.50) = $2.06 or $.11oz
- Happy Tot Organic Apples, Spinach, Peas & Broccoli + Super Chia 4oz pouch = $1.59 or $.39oz
- Total Savings of Homemade Puree = $.28 per ounce or 72% savings
- Makes: 30 ounces
- 3 organic sweet potatoes (2.67), 1/2 cup organic coconut milk ($.28), 1/2 tsp coriander ($.10) = $3.05 or $.10oz
- Plum Organics Baby Food, Just Sweet Potato 3oz pouch = $1.13 or $.37oz
- Total Savings of Homemade Puree = $.27 per ounce or 72% savings
- Makes: 20 ounces
- 2 organic frozen mangos ($1.19), 2 organic pears ($.82), 1/2 cup organic kale ($.07), 1 tsp fresh ginger (.$10) = $2.18 or $.11oz
- Happy Squeeze Organic Superfoods Twist Apple, Kale & Mango 3.17oz pouch = $.95 or $.30oz
- Total Savings of Homemade Puree = $.19 per ounce or 63% savings
- Makes: 15 ounces
- 2 organic apples ($.66), 1 c organic blackberry ($1.84), 1 cup organic baby kale ($.14) = $2.64 or $.17oz
- Happy Squeeze Organic Apple, Kale & Blueberry 3.17oz pouch= $.90 or $.38oz
- Total Savings of Homemade Puree = $.73 per ounce or 71% savings
- Makes: 12 ounces
- 2 organic apples ($.66), 1/4 cup organic spinach ($.12), 1/4 cup organic frozen peas ($.09) = $.87 or $.07oz
- Mama Bear Organic Baby Food Apple, Pear & Spinach 4oz pouch = $1.20 or $.30oz
- Total Savings of Homemade Puree = $.23 per ounce or 77% savings
- Makes: 30 ounces
- 6 organic apples ($1.98), 4 organic carrots ($.52), spices ($.40) = $2.90 or $.10oz
- Plum Organics Organic Baby Food, Apple and Carrot 4oz pouch = $1.13 or $.28oz
- Total Savings of Homemade Puree = $.18 per ounce or 64% savings
- Makes: 26 ounces
- 3 organic apples ($.99), 1 organic sweet potato ($.89), 2 organic carrots ($.26) = $2.14 or $.08oz
- Happy Baby Organic Sweet Potatoes, Mangos & Carrots 4oz pouch = $1.40 or $.35oz
- Total Savings of Homemade Puree = $.27 per ounce or 77% savings
- Makes: 30 ounces
- 1/2 cup organic quinoa ($.36) = $.36 or $.01oz
- NurturMe Organic Infant Cereals, Protein-Packed Quinoa 8oz package = $4.99 or $.62oz
- Total Savings of Homemade Puree = $.61 per ounce or 98% savings
- Makes: 10 ounces
- 2 cups organic pears ($.82), 1 cup organic frozen blueberries ($.99) = $1.81 or $.18oz
- Ella’s Kitchen Organic Baby Food, Pear + Blueberry Baby Breakfast 3.5oz pouch = $1.40 or $.40oz
- Total Savings of Homemade Puree = $.22 per ounce or 55% savings
- Makes: 25 ounces
- 3 organic apples ($.99), 2 organic bananas ($.50), 1/8 cinnamon ($.03) = $1.52 or $.06oz
- Mama Bear Organic Baby Food, Apple & Banana 4oz pouch = $1.20 or $.30oz
- Total Savings of Homemade Puree = $.24 per ounce or 80% savings
- Makes: 30 ounces
- 2 lbs organic carrots (1.58), 1/4 tsp nutmeg ($.05) = $1.63 or $.05oz
- Earth’s Best Organic Stage 1 Baby Food, Carrots 2.5oz jar = $.52 or $.20oz
- Total Savings of Homemade Puree = $.15 per ounce or 75% savings
- Makes: 8 ounces
- 1/2 organic banana ($.12), 1/4 organic avocado ($.29), 1/4 cup organic pineapple ($.43) = $.84 or $.10oz
- Once Upon a Farm Wild Rumpus Avocado 3.12oz pouch = $3.49 or $1.09oz
- Total Savings of Homemade Puree = $.99 per ounce or 90% savings
MORE Baby Food RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE :
- The Ultimate Guide on How to Make and Serve Homemade Baby Food
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 9 5-Minute Baby Food Purees (Fast, Healthy & Homemade)
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- Top Tools for Making Baby Purees