This Mango + Kale Baby Food Puree is going to knock your baby’s socks off – that is if they haven’t already pulled them off themselves already!! This puree has it all – super sweet mango, healthy superstar kale and a pinch of tummy yummy ginger that will leave your baby happy and healthy! Great 6+ months – stage 2 baby food.
Mango + Kale Baby Food
We are leaving later this week to go on a little summer vacation down to Georgia to stay with hubby’s parents for a week. Summer in Georgia sounds HOT to me!!! But they have a pool, so I was sold!!
The first thing I did to get ready for this trip, was I got my Blendtec Designer 625 Blender out and made this mango + kale puree to bring along with us.
Yeah, I am that annoying person holding up security because I HAVE to take my homemade baby food pouches on the plane with me, well that and 4 bento boxes worth of snacks… gawww!
Every time I now go on a plane with my kids (let’s be real, anytime I leave the house and drive more then 3 miles) I am loaded down with a toooonnnnnnn of healthy snacks, reusable puree pouches and of course some hidden bribing snacks <——- usually these are the packaged and not so healthy but when I see a tantrum coming, those get pulled out at the speed of light.
So knowing we have a 3 hour plane ride and a 2 hour car ride to my pool-cation, I knew I had to make and bring this puree in for reinforcements. While not being the most photogenic puree out there, it is full of yumminess on the inside. Sweet, creamy and tasting like a treat, this puree is going to be my go-to snack for my little ladies this trip, which I am sure will be dulled out and devoured before we even take off.
How to Make this Puree
Let’s get cooking shall we…
- Prep: peel, deseed and chop mango. Peel, core and chop pear. Destem kale.
- Steam: First the mango, kale and pear get a quick steam to loosen up all their goodness. We want to bring out the mango’s amazing tropical flavor and to dull down the kale’s earthy tones. As good as kale is for the kiddos, I am assuming your little one is similar to mine and doesn’t go around gnawing on a piece <——- that would be way to wishful thinking on our part. So we do a quick steam so it loses some of it’s intensity while not losing too much of it’s nutritional value.
- Transfer: add all of the ingredients into a blender and add in some freshly zested ginger.
- Puree: blend in the blender for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- Serve, Store or Freeze: serve to baby or pour this puree into air-tight containers for the fridge, reusable food pouches or freezer trays.
Other ways to eat this puree:
- Mixed with Greek yogurt and a pinch of chia seeds for an amazing breakfast or snack puree!
- Stir in an ounce or two of salmon puree for a baby superfood meal.
- Combine with a big spoonful of chicken puree and cooked brown rice along with a good shake of mild curry powder for a Thai inspired baby dinner.
- Combine equal parts puree and whipped coconut milk for a baby (and mommy) dessert.
MORE BABY FOOD RECIPES
- 18 Stage 2 Baby Food Purees (that your baby actually eat!)
- 12 Budget-Friendly Baby Food Recipes
- 9 5-Minute Baby Food Purees
- Spinach + Apple Baby Food Puree
- Sweet Potato Baby Puree – 3 Delicious Ways
Mango + Kale Baby Food Puree with Ginger
- 2 mangos (I used red mangos)
- 2 pears
- 1/2-1 cup packed kale (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 water reserved from steamer, breast milk or formula
- Peel, pit and chop mango. Core and chop pears. Devein and chop kale.
- In a medium saucepan, bring roughly 2 inches of water to a boil over medium heat. Place the mango, pears and kale in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover, and cook for 8 minutes. Reserve steamer water. Let cool slightly.
- Place mango, pear, kale, ginger and water into a blender or food processor and puree for 1-2 minutes or until smooth, adding additional water in 1/4 cup increments is needed.