This Spinach and Apple Baby Food Puree is high in iron and a perfect baby food puree to introduce around 6 months. With the addition of cinnamon, ginger, and cloves, this stage two combination puree tastes amazing! Great Stage 2 Baby Food or 6+ months and up.
I have several recipes on the blog that include spinach in the recipe –
All of those recipes are great and your baby will love them, but I wanted to have a recipe in the arsenal that goes above and beyond just a hint of spinach in the recipe. I wanted to have a recipe that maximizes spinach and all of it’s health benefits to the extreme of all extremes.
There is one simple reason for this – iron.
Benefits of Iron in Baby + Toddlers
Sounds super boring, but let me explain. Baby is born with roughly 6 months of iron reserves in their bodies. Once baby reaches 6 months of age, those reserves start to diminish. That is why you will see a ton of baby products that feature ‘Iron Fortified’ on their labels. Iron Fortified is just a fancy marketing term that means that companies are adding in processed iron into baby food products. To me, that is a lazy and mostly unhealthy way to get iron into baby. Instead, let’s just feed baby healthy and flavorful foods that are high in the nutrients they need.
Beside iron, this Spinach + Apple Baby Puree is serving up ridiculous amounts of other nutrients – fiber, manganese, folate, magnesium, copper, calcium, antioxidants and vitamins K, A, B2, B6, E and C. WOW! That’s a ton of nutrients for such a yummy tasting baby puree.
Of course we could just make a puree out of straight spinach, but I am pretty sure your baby will frown at such an intense puree. And we don’t want any sad babies, only happy babies here.
To turn this spinach into a crave-worthy puree, we are first going to simmer a bunch of healthy apples with a mixture of cinnamon, ginger and cloves. This combination of spices takes this puree from boring to amazing in seconds.
Once the apples are soft, we are going to add in 2 huge cups of spinach to the simmering apples so we can let the spinach gets nice and soft. This only takes a minute or two. Then into a blender the entire mixture goes and in less then 20 minutes you have a tasty baby puree that is packed with nutrients that your baby needs.
But this puree isn’t just for babies, heck no! This puree is also a great puree for older toddlers and kids because let’s face it, spinach will always be a hard sell for little ones of any age. My girls loved this puree served as a side for their lunches but they really loved it when I spooned it into reusable pouches for a quick snack on-the-run. If your kiddo is adversed to green colored food (most of them are) then the pouches are a great way to hide the color of the puree.
Any way you serve this puree, it is sure to be a hit with kiddos of all ages!
MORE BABY FOOD RECIPES
- 18 Stage 2 Baby Food Purees (that your baby actually eat!)
- 12 Budget-Friendly Baby Food Recipes
- 15 Dinner Puree Ideas for Baby
- 9 5-Minute Baby Food Purees
- Spinach + Apple Baby Food Puree
- Sweet Potato Baby Puree – 3 Delicious Ways
Spinach + Apple Baby Food Puree
- 6 apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach packed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- In a medium saucepan, add the apples, water, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until apples are tender when pricked with a fork, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach on top of the apples and cook for 2 more minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Add all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and puree for 1-2 minutes or until completely smooth. Serve and enjoy.