This Purple Carrot + Blueberries with Nutmeg Baby Food Puree is a magically purple puree that baby will love! Filled with wholesome purple carrots, superfood blueberries and a pinch of earthly nutmeg, this puree will delight baby’s tastebuds. Great for 6 months and up – Stage 2 Baby Food.
Purple Carrot + Blueberries with Nutmeg Baby Food Puree
What is it about purple carrots that make them so darn fun? They taste the same as the garden variety orange carrots but whenever I start peeling and chopping and eventually eating a purple carrot I get excited! A smile usually appears on my face. I sometimes do a little carrot jig. Ellie rolls her eyes at me.
Hey, what can I say, happy food makes me happy!
I’m weird like that.
And I swear that even though I know they taste the same as the orange carrots, to me they somehow taste even better! It is as if the purple contains a special bit of yumminess! A little magic for the tummy!
This puree came about as I was avoiding sleep and searching Instagram telling myself that it is okay not to get sleep as long as I was being creative (or at least looking at pictures of other people being creative) and I came upon @thehappybaby and was blown away by her great recipes. You need to skip on over to her account and follow her for some great baby recipes and pictures of her adorable twins!
When I saw her post, I knew I had my next puree ingredients – purple magical carrots and bright bursting blueberries, two of my favorite foods for baby, coming together in a deep purple puree of happiness.
Of course, I couldn’t stop there and I just had to add a pinch of spicy nutmeg to really knock this puree out of here. Nutmeg is one of my all time favorite spices to add to carrots and not only does it compliment carrots earthy flavors is also helps the appetite and digestion.
Other ways to enjoy this puree:
- Mix with some steamed spinach and a spoonful of Greek yogurt for a great toddler reusable pouch puree.
- Spoon over some cooked quinoa for a little extra protein for when baby is on the move.
- Mix with a big spoonful of chicken or white fish puree for a wholesome baby dinner.
- Serve with a pear or apple puree and call it dessert for baby or toddler.
MORE BABY FOOD RECIPES
- 18 Stage 2 Baby Food Purees (that your baby actually eat!)
- 12 Budget-Friendly Baby Food Recipes
- 9 5-Minute Baby Food Purees
- Homemade Quinoa Baby Cereal (2-Ingredients)
- Spinach + Apple Baby Food Puree
- Sweet Potato Baby Puree – 3 Delicious Ways
Purple Carrots, Blueberries with Nutmeg Baby Food Puree
- 4 large purple carrots, peel and roughly chop
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add the carrots to a steamer basket and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the blueberries to the carrots and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Reserve steamer water. Let cool slightly.
- Place the carrots, blueberries and nutmeg into a blender or food processor and puree for 1-2 minutes or until smooth, adding reserved water, breast milk or formula in 1/4 cup increments if needed.