Surprise! Oats for Baby + Toddler
Surprise! Oats for Baby + Toddler – Let’s kick that boring instant oatmeal up a notch by hiding your kiddos favorite toppings underneath the cooked oats. Trust me – your toddler’s mind is about to be blown with this fun and super simple way of serving their breakfast oatmeal. Great warm breakfast for baby, toddlers, kids and even you;)
Let’s kick that boring oatmeal up a notch by hiding your kiddos favorite toppings underneath the cooked oats.
Trust me – your toddler’s mind is about to be blown 🤯 with this fun and super simple way of serving their normal breakfast oatmeal.
We love oatmeal in my house, in fact, it’s Elliette’s favorite meal of all time! <—- yes, she’s 7 going on 70 😂.
But let’s face it, oatmeal can get pretty boring😴.
That’s why we are turning the regular bowl of oatmeal on its head. Surprise! Oatmeal is basically your standard bowl of oats with the toppings served underneath the oatmeal. Pretty basic yet fun twist, right?
Your kid will sit down for breakfast, give you that “mom, really boring oatmeal.. again” face and then when they actually start to eat it, they realize there is a whole new level of fun to explore.
I served Surprise! Oatmeal to my kids once, and now it’s the only way they will eat it. They love being little Oatmeal-tologists and trying to figure out what I have hidden for them to discover (and eat).
Reasons to Love this Surprise! Oats for Baby + Toddler
- easy to make – 5 minutes or less
- warm breakfast for all ages – baby, toddler, kids and even you
- fun to eat
- customizable – you can add any toppings you prefer
- great for baby-led weaning
- perfect for leftovers – prep several bowls at a time and serve all week long
Surpise! Oats Add-Ins
- chopped pecans
- pomegranate seeds
- hemp seeds
- chopped almonds
- coconut flakes
- apple chunks
- granola for some crunch
- pear chunks
- mini chocolate chips
- chopped berries
- peanut butter
- pineapple chunks
- chopped walnuts
- spoonful of jam
- slices of banana
- chunks of peaches
Fun combinations to try
- pineapple chunks, slivered almonds and coconut flakes
- apple chunks, cinnamon and chopped walnuts
- chopped peaches, plain yogurt and granola
- spoonful of peanut butter and jam with sliced bananas
- shaved carrots, raisins, pinch of coconut sugar and a sprinkle of nutmeg
How to Make Surprise! Oats
- Stir: in a small bowl, stir together the oats, cinnamon, hot water and sweetener (if using). Let sit 2-3 minutes.
- Toppings: place the toppings (or bottomings, in this case:) at the bottom of a toddler friendly bowl
- Cover: spoon the oats on top of the toppings and sprinkle the oats with a pinch of cinnamon
- Serve: serve to your toddler and watch the have a fun surprise
More Breakfast Recipes
- 6 Baby-Led Weaning Breakfast Ideas
- 8 Healthy Toddler Breakfasts
- Easy Blender Spinach Pancakes for Baby + Toddler
- 15 Healthy Muffin Recipes for Baby + Toddler
- 3 Green Smoothie Freezer Packs for Toddler
- Golden Milk Waffles
Get the recipe: Surprise! Instant Oatmeal
- 1/3 cup instant oats
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp topping of your choice (see below)
- 2 tsp maple syrup, coconut sugar or brown sugar (optoinal)
- splash milk, or cream (optional)
- In a small bowl, stir together the oats, cinnamon, maple syrup (if using) and boiling water. Let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- In a toddler-friendly bowl, add the toppings of your choice.
- Spoon the oatmeal on top of the toppings, completely covering the toppings. Sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon, drizzle with a splash of milk or cream to cool it down and serve.