Strawberry Quinoa Breakfast Cereal
This Strawberry Quinoa Breakfast Cereal is a warm and filling breakfast for baby and toddler made with healthy protein-filled quinoa, chopped strawberries and a pinch of cinnamon and vanilla. Can be served whole or blended into a chunky or smooth puree. Great for 6+ months and up.
Strawberry Quinoa Breakfast Cereal
The mornings are starting to get cool and the days are definitely getting shorter. It’s almost time to bust out the pumpkin-themed foods, cozy sweaters and hot tea🍂.
My families go-to breakfast on a cold morning is usually oatmeal. But I wanted to try something new this year.
I wanted to have 2 amazing hot cereal recipes in my arsenal for those crazy hectic weekday mornings.
This quinoa breakfast cereal or porridge hits the spot🎯! It’s made with protein-rich quinoa that is simmered with a pinch of cinnamon and vanilla along with chunks of flavorful strawberries.
My oldest daughter, Elliette, who loooooooovvves oatmeal like the 80 year old lady she is👵, loved this recipe. In fact, she ate 2 huge bowls and then asked for thirds.
Parker, my more selective eater, ate all of the chunks of strawberries out of the bowl and then dug into the quinoa. Hey, whatever makes her happy🤷♀️.
Bring on the cool mornings, because this warm quinoa breakfast cereal is going to keep our bellies full and happy all fall and winter long.
Reasons to Love this Strawberry Quinoa Cereal
- great for baby and toddler
- customizable – add any fruit you prefer
- can be left whole or pureed to a chunky or smooth puree
- filled with antioxidants, protein, fiber, amino acids, potassium as well as brain boosting cinnamon
- great for leftovers
- 6+ months
- works with baby-led weaning – would work great with this spoon or let cool and serve in chunks for easy handling
Strawberry Quinoa Cereal Ingredients
- Quinoa: I recommend using a white quinoa for this recipe as it has the easiest color for kiddos to see the fruit (their favorite part) but any color will work in this recipe. Quinoa is high in protein and has all nine essential amino acids.
- Liquid: you can use water, milk (cow or any plant based milk), breastmilk or formula in this recipe.
- Strawberries: filled with with manganese, potassium as well as high levels of antioxidants. Plus, they just make everything taste amazing. I would recommend purchasing organic strawberries (or using frozen organic strawberries when out of season) as they are on the dirty dozen list.
- Cinnamon: tastes delicious as well as boosts brain functions!
How to Make Strawberry Quinoa Cereal
- Heat: cook the quinoa along with the cinnamon and vanilla on the stove in a medium saucepan for 15 minutes.
- Add Fruit: add in the chopped strawberries and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Blend: if you are looking for a chunky or smooth puree, blend in the blender or with an emersion blender until you reach your desired consistency.
- Finish: Let Cool and Serve.
More Breakfast Recipes
- 6 Baby-Led Weaning Breakfast Ideas
- 8 Healthy Toddler Breakfasts
- Easy Blender Spinach Pancakes for Baby + Toddler
- 15 Healthy Muffin Recipes for Baby + Toddler
- 3 Green Smoothie Freezer Packs for Toddler
- Golden Milk Waffles
DID YOU MAKE THIS STRAWBERRY QUINOA CEREAL FOR BABY RECIPE?
I’D LOVE TO KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT! LEAVE A COMMENT AND A ⭐️ RATING BELOW 👇
Get the recipe: Strawberry Quinoa Cereal for Baby
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup liquid water, milk (of choice), breast milk, formula
- 1/2 cup strawberries finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small medium saucepan, add in the quinoa and liquid.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, turn down heat to a low simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add in the strawberries, cinnamon and vanilla extract, stir and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Can be served whole or pureed. If pureeing, using a hand immersion blender or blender, pulse for 5-10 seconds for a chunky cereal or for 1 minute for a smooth puree. If you are making a smooth puree and the cereal gets too thick, add additional liquid in 1/4 cup increments until you have achieved your desired consistency.
- Let cool slightly, sprinkle with a few more chopped strawberries and serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @babyfoode on Instagram and hashtag it #babyfoode!
This post was sponsored by Happy Family Organics – check out all of their amazing homemade baby and toddler recipes and meal plans on their learning resources page!
8 Comments on “Strawberry Quinoa Breakfast Cereal”
Any particular reason why you call this appropriate for nine month olds and not the six month old crowd?
This will totally work for 6+ months. I just updated the post and added how I would serve it for baby-led weaning. Hope that helps.
Is this recipe freeze friendly?
I’m sorry, but I haven’t tried freezing this recipe. I think it’s worth a shot. It will probably be thick when you defrost it, but I think with a little extra liquid, it should turn out fine.
Just made this for my 8 month old and I’m wondering how long it would keep in the fridge? Loving all of your recipes!!
It should be good in the fridge for up to 4 days.