5 Minute Strawberry-Banana-Oat Smoothie
This strawberry banana smoothie with oats is a great nourishing smoothie idea for kids, toddlers, teens, and grown-ups, too! Finally, a smoothie that’s a wholesome option for the whole family. Recipe uses frozen fruit, a milk of your choice (regular, almond, oat, coconut), and is made without any yogurt.
Kids Favorite Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Made with strawberries, bananas, oats, and chia seeds, this smoothie is packed with fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, potassium as well as antioxidants!
The strawberries and bananas make it over-the-top tasty, and the oats give it some staying power, so your kiddos won’t get hungry five minutes after you serve it.
Spiced with a little vanilla extract and sweetened with a drizzle of honey, this smoothie can almost be passed off as a 🍓🍌 milkshake… almost!
If you are looking for more easy and healthy smoothie ideas for kids, then be sure to check out our Peach Pie Smoothie, this reader-favorite Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie with Hidden Veggies, Kid-Favorite Green Smoothies, or this easy Cold Buster Smoothie. You can also find more recipes and information in my best-selling cookbook Little Foodies: Recipes for Babies and Toddlers with Taste.
Reasons to Love this Smoothie
- full of wholesome ingredients
- easy to make – 5 minutes from start to pour
- packed with fiber, protein, potassium, and antioxidants
- great for breakfast, lunch, or on-the-go snack
- perfect for toddlers, preschoolers, or kids of any age
- great for babies 9+ months (omit the honey)
- awesome for picky eaters
- can add in hidden veggies – cauliflower or greens
Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie Ingredients
- Frozen strawberries: frozen works best, but fresh will also work.
- Banana: makes this smoothie wonderfully creamy and provides fiber, vitamins, and potassium, use frozen if you can, but fresh will also work.
- Oats: rolled oats or instant oats are best, as they have a more neutral flavor and a softer texture, which makes them easier to blend.
- Chia seeds: optional, but add in a boost of nutrients.
- Vanilla extract: for a touch of flavor.
- Honey: adding a sweetener is optional, but adding honey is a great way to sweeten smoothies naturally; you can also use maple syrup, agave nectar, or 2 pitted dates.
- Milk: you can make this smoothie using any milk you prefer – regular or any plant-based milk such as almond, coconut, oat or soy.
- Ice: if not using a frozen banana, add in a few ice cubes.
- Place all of the ingredients into a high-speed blender.
- Run the blender for 1-2 minutes or until completely smooth.
- Pour and serve.
Tools You Need
Optional Smoothie Mix-Ins
- frozen cauliflower
- hemp heart seeds
- collagen powder
- vanilla protein powder
- a handful of spinach or kale (it will turn the smoothie greenish-brownish but it will taste delicious)
- ground flaxseeds
Cooking with Kids
You can easily have your kids help you make this smoothie.
- Toddlers can help measure and pour the ingredients into the blender.
- They can help put the lid on the blender and push start. Note: make sure to talk about not touching the blender blade while making something in the blender, as it can be sharp.
- Have them pour their smoothie into their own cup.
- You can pretty much let older kids make this recipe by themselves.
- They can pick out and measure all of the ingredients. Note: make sure to talk about not touching the blender blade while making something in the blender, as it can be sharp.
- Have them pour the smoothie into their own cup as well as a second cup for you!
- Smoothies are best served as soon as you have made it. But you can store any leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- For a thicker smoothie, use frozen peaches and bananas. If using fresh, add in 4-6 ice cubes.
- Make sure you blend for at least 1-2 minutes or until everything is completely broken down. No kid wants a mouthful of frozen cauliflower, so make sure it’s smooth before pouring.
Get the recipe: 5 Minute Strawberry-Banana-Oat Smoothie
- Place all ingredients into a blender.
- On medium-high speed, blend for 1-2 minutes or until all ingredients are combined and smooth.
- Pour into cups and serve immediately for best results.