Ever wonder what else can you put in banana puree besides cinnamon? This Roasted Banana Puree with rosemary is so delicious and simple to make! It uses only two ingredients to create the BEST banana puree that both you and your baby will love. Perfect baby food for babies 4 months and older, stage 1 baby food!
This baby food puree is a fun twist on the classic banana and cinnamon version!
We are going to start off by roasting the bananas for a few minutes in a hot oven, just to caramelize the bananas and make them extra delicious 😋.
While this is an extra step in this recipe, as you can easily just toss bananas into a blender and call it a day, trust me when I say roasting bananas is like making edible magic 🧙♀️.
And what baby doesn’t want to eat a magical roasted puree for their lunch? Not your little foodie 👶, I’m sure of that!
Next, we are nix the predictable pinch cinnamon, and we are going to balance out the bananas’ natural sweetness with a little pinch of fresh rosemary.
Using only two ingredients you are going to create the BEST banana puree that both you and your baby will love💛.
Reasons to Love this Banana Baby Food:
- baby food for 4 months and up
- stage 1 baby food
- creamy and smooth
- great for spoon-feeding or served in a reusable pouch
- easy organic baby food recipe – use organic bananas (which are only cents more than standard bananas)
- easy to make – 5 minutes of hands-on time
- take only 2-ingredients
- Bananas: are the key ingredient in this recipe. I like using organic bananas in my baby food recipes as the price is very comparable to conventional and they are usually readily available, but you can use whichever ones you prefer.
- Rosemary: while this recipe uses fresh rosemary to give it a nice earthy taste, you can also add a pinch of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, fresh chopped mint or basil to this recipe as well. I would not recommend using dried rosemary to this recipe as it is too hard and will not incorporate into the puree as well as fresh does.
Tip on Bananas: while any ripeness of bananas will work, I have found that the bananas that are ripe (several brown spots)tend to work best in this recipe.
In this recipe, we are adding in a pinch of fresh rosemary, but feel free to use the following spices instead – cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, mild curry powder, mint, basil or ginger (see quantity recommendations in the recipe card).
Tip on Spices: I always added in spices to my baby food purees, but you can add or leave out spices in all of your baby food. You do you! Either way, this puree will taste amazing.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Cut bananas lengthwise and place on baking sheet.
- Roast for 10-12 minutes or until just golden brown.
- Add roasted bananas and rosemary to a blender and puree for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve or freezer for later.
Other ways to enjoy this puree:
- Savory Meal for Baby: mix this banana puree with a pear and spinach puree for a savory meal.
- Baby Breakfast: mix with a spoonful of plain yogurt and homemade quinoa baby cereal for a nutrient-dense start to baby’s day.
- Toddler Breakfast: mixed with plain yogurt and a dollop of honey for a great toddler breakfast.
- Toddler Snack: top with toasted shredded coconut and chopped cashews for a crunchy toddler snack.
- For You: eat by the spoonful after your baby goes to bed and before you pick up the mess they made around the house that day.
how to store the banana puree
This puree will keep for 2 days in the fridge or 4 months in the freezer. After thawing, this puree will last 2 days in the fridge. Your banana puree might become a little darker after freezing (see video) and this is completely fine. If you want to keep it the same color, feel free to add in a 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to the puree before freezing.
If you are heating the puree on the stove or in the microwave, any leftovers need to be tossed after you serve it.
MORE BABY FOOD RECIPES
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Roasted Butternut Squash + Thyme Baby Food Puree
Favorite Kitchen Tools: Get a list of my favorite kitchen tools to make the best baby food here!
DID YOU MAKE THIS BANANA PUREE?
I’D LOVE TO KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT! LEAVE A COMMENT AND A ⭐️ RATING BELOW 👇
Roasted Banana + Rosemary Puree (Stage 1)
- 4 bananas, cut lengthwise
- 1/8 tsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place bananas on a baking sheet and roast for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly.
- Place bananas and rosemary into a blender or food processor and puree for 1-2 minutes or until completely smooth. You may need to add additional water, so start by adding in 1/4 cup increments until you get the desired consistency.
- Serve or freeze for later.
NEW TO MAKING PUREES?
THEN CHECK OF MY GUIDE ON WHICH KITCHEN TOOLS YOU ACTUALLY ARE GOING TO NEED TO MAKE THE CREAMIEST AND SMOOTHEST BABY PUREES. HINT, IT’S NOT MANY!