Mexican Sweet Potato Boats for Baby + Toddler
These Mexican Sweet Potato Boats are a fun meal for the entire family. This quick dinner idea is extremely family-friendly as everyone gets to make their own. Perfect for baby-led weaning and the finger food stage.
These sweet potato boats are a family-friendly way to serve sweet potatoes to the entire family – including those picky eaters.
Babies are happy because they can eat this dish with their fingers.
Toddlers and picky eaters are happy because they can top their own boat with their favorite toppings.
And adults are happy because they get to make one meal for the entire family! They can amp up their sweet potato boats with a spicy salsa, cream cheese and a squeeze of lime.
Reasons to love this quick dinner idea – Mexican Sweet Potato Boats for Baby + Toddler:
- family-friendly – everyone gets to make their own
- great for baby-led weaning and the finger food stage
- healthy – full of essential nutrients
- great for lunch or dinner
- great for 9+ months and up
- can be served inside of the peel or taken out and mashed for younger eaters
- full of flavor as well as nutrients
- easy dinner ideas for a busy weeknight
- Gluten, Dairy, Nut and Egg Free
- Vegan (served without the cheese)
MORE BABY-LED WEANING AND FINGER FOOD RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE –
- The Ultimate Guide of Finger Foods for Baby
- 15 Healthy Finger Foods for Toddlers (that they will love)
- 4 Baby-Led Weaning Snack Food Ideas (easy & healthy)
- 6 Baby-Led Weaning Breakfast Ideas
- Spiced Blender Pancakes for Baby + Toddler
- Roasted Root Vegetables for Baby + Toddler
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW! I WANT TO SEE YOUR YUMMY CREATIONS! SNAP A PIC AND SHARE IT HERE ON PINTEREST
Get the recipe: Mexican Sweet Potato Boats
- 3 cooked small whole sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 avocado chopped
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
- Warm the sweet potatoes in the microwave or in a 350 degree oven.
- In a medium skillet, add in the black beans, corn, paprika, garlic powder and cumin and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring often.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half, using a spoon to scrap the sweet potato away from the skin and cut or smash the sweet potato into small chunks, being careful not to cut the peel.
- Add 1/4 cup of the bean and corn mixture on top of the sweet potato.
- Sprinkle the avocado, tomatoes, cheese and cilantro on top and serve.