This Cherry + Basil Baby Food Puree is a fun way to introduce the taste of summer to baby. Filled with essential nutrients for growing baby – this puree will sure to be a hit! Great baby food for 4+ months – stage 1 baby food.
I remember the first time I had a real cherry, not the fake kind of cherry that is neon pink and served in a Shirley Temple which was my favorite drink at the time, but the kind of cherry that was still warm because it had just been picked off a tree that same day. So ripe it bleed dark red juice all over my face and shirt without mercy. Sweet enough that you want to stop after eating just a couple but you know that you have little self control as it is so why bother with self control over cherries.
My first cherry tasting happened when I was teenager staying the summer with my older sister and enjoying the summer life in Montana. My dad had come up to help me make the long drive back down to Colorado and on the way we pulled over and bought a huge flat of cherries from a small handmade stand that had a cash basket attached to a wooden post. This was Montanan after all, people did and still do trust each other. I thought he was crazy for buying so many cherries, how on earth could we possibly eat them all? It felt as if it was some sort of country test and we aimed to pass it with flying colors.
We rolled down the windows.
Turned up the Johnny Cash.
And ate away with the summer breeze in our hair.
That car ride made me feel like I had learned the necessities of adulthood, that the only proper way to discard the pit was out the car window, how to tie not one but two knots into a cherry stem and that eating half a flat of cherries in one day will most likely make you have to stop at every bathroom that you come across.
This puree will not make your baby learn any of those adult life lessons, but it will bring a huge smile to their face. Best served in a warm, sunny outdoor location with a cool breeze blowing through their piece or two of hair.
MORE STARTER BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Sweet Potato Baby Puree – 3 Delicious Ways
Cherry + Basil Baby Food Puree
- 2 cups cherries pitted
- 2 leaves fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- Place the cherries and water into a medium sauce pan and heat over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cherries to a blender or food processor, leaving excess water in the sauce pan.
- Add the basil and blend for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.