Back-To-School Lunch Idea
This Back-to-School Lunch Idea is a fun way to serve lunch for kids on their first day back at school! Great packed in your favorite lunch box or served on a plate at home. Easy to customize and quick to make the night before!
Regardless if your kids are going back to school or staying home to learn 📚, this fun lunch will make them feel so special on their first day back to school 🥰!
Packed full of tasty and healthy ingredients, this lunch will give your kids all the energy they need to tackle 💪 the afternoon!
You can make them the night before and keep them in the fridge so that they are easy to grab, and older kids can easily help you to put them together.
Reasons to Love this School Lunch
- great for a packed school lunch
- also great for a lunch at home
- can be customized to suit any kids taste preference
- wholesome ingredients
- easy to make, and you can make them the night before for a hassle-free morning
What’s In This Lunch for Kids
- Cream Cheese Open-Faced Sandwich: Whipped cream cheese on a slice of bread, I have used some plant-based dye to color the cream cheese so that it’s fun to eat. I also cut out letters from a slice of white cheese to give them a surprise message! You can also omit the letters and leave the colored sandwich as-is or add a few sprinkles for an extra surprise.
- Mini Peppers: I love the pop of color from the sliced mini peppers. They are a great source of vitamin C and antioxidants.
- Peaches and Blueberries: Peaches and blueberries contain a wealth of vitamins and minerals. You can easily use other fruits.
- Funfetti Energy Ball: These funfetti energy balls are packed full of fiber and will give your kid energy to concentrate in their afternoon lessons.
- Cheese Crackers: These are my kids favorites and a great way to add variety to their lunch.
Packed Lunch Variations
These lunchboxes are easy to mix up with your kids’ favorite foods. Try swapping in:
- Sweet + Savory Popcorn Trail Mix
- Cashew Butter + Chocolate Energy Bites
- dairy-free – use a dairy-free cheese
- gluten-free – use gluten-free crackers and bread
MORE SCHOOL LUNCH INSPIRATION
- 20 Healthy Lunch Box Ideas for Kids
- 68 Preschool and Kindergarten School Lunch Ideas
- 10 Easy + Healthy School Lunch Ideas (no sandwiches!)
- 9 Best Kids Bento Boxes for School (expert review)
- 100 Healthy School Lunch Box Ideas (Free Printables!)
- PlanetBox School Lunch Box
- Letter Fruit and Veggie Cutters
- Number Fruit and Veggie Cutters
- Star Silicone Holder
- Peach Pitter
- Teal Plate
- Teal and Yellow Fork
Get the recipe: Back to School Lunch
- 2 tbsp whipped cream cheese
- 1 piece bread, whole wheat, multi-grian or white bread
- 3-6 drops plant-based food dye
- 1 slice white cheddar cheese
- 3 mini bell peppers, sliced
- 1/2 peach, chopped
- 2 tbsp blueberries
- 1 energy ball
- 1/4 cup cheese crackers
- Place the whipped cream cheese on a cutting board in a long line. At the top of the line drop 1-3 drops of food dye. At the bottom of the line drop 1-3 drops of another color of food dye. Using a knife, mix the food dye into the cream cheese so the top is one color and the bottom is another (see video for more details). Using a slice of bread, smear the cream cheese onto the bread. Cut the edges off the bread so you end up with a rectangle. You can leave this as-is, add some sprinkles or cut letters out of white cheddar to whatever saying you prefer. Place the sandwich in a lunch box or on a plate.
- In another section of the lunch box or on a plate – add in the chopped peaches and a few blueberries.
- In another section of the lunch box or on a plate – add in the sliced bell peppers.
- In the last section of the lunch box or on a plate – add in the energy ball and the cheddar crackers.
Fun sandwich idea was inspired from this post.