This Acorn Squash + Ginger baby food puree is simple to make and easy to eat! Baby will love the squash’s mild flavor mixed with ginger for a little zip to waken up their taste buds. Ginger not only makes purees taste delicious, it is a great aide for baby’s little tummies. Great baby food for 4 months and up or Stage 1 baby food!
Acorn Squash Baby Food Puree
While, I have been busy putting together a little book for you (more about my news here), one of the things I have been looking forward to since having baby Frankie has happened – she started eating(!!!) and I wasn’t prepared. At ALL!
The plan was that after I wrapped up this book project, I would get into the kitchen to whip some amazing purees for her to start on.
And when I say I was planning, what I really mean is that I had already scheduled a day to make the purees, what purees I was going to make (all new recipes), and had thought in depth about which purees I wanted to introduce when.
All of this makes me sound crazy – which I am. I’m working on it. But in the mean time, when I am dodging working out, this is what I do.
Plan was in place, baby is growing and showing the signs that she is almost ready to begin eating (holding her head up, wanting to sit with us during meals and eyeing our food), and then about a week ago during dinner, she reaches over, grabs a hunk of avocado off of her sisters plate and starts munching away on it! At 5 months and 17 days, baby girl is ready to eat!
Which is great!!!
(Enter happy dance)
Except for one small thing… I have nothing ready for her to eat yet! Me, Mrs. Baby FoodE, who spends every waking second thinking about baby food is not ready for when my baby is ready to eat. Shame on me!
We started with mashed avocados and bananas (mostly because this is what I had around the house) – adding in a dash of cilantro and cinnamon of course. She ate them all! Sometimes with great excitement and sometimes with slight hesitation.
But I needed some variety. This acorn squash was in my fridge waiting it’s turn to be used for another recipe, but instead it became my babes dinner.
Simply roasted in a hot oven until barely brown and bubbly, then pureed with a hint of ginger and a small amount of water.
This puree is creamy and mild and perfect for babies first food.
I added the ginger for two reasons.
For starters – this puree needed a bit of zip.
A little kick for the tastebuds.
Secondly, I added it because with all this new food baby needed a little tummy medicine and ginger is great for calming and aiding with any stomach and digestion issues.
Other things this puree would be great with:
Slightly pureed with brown rice or quinoa for a chunky puree – great for some extra fiber and protein.
- Mixed into a white fish and carrot puree.
- Served as a baby soup with a swirl of olive oil and a sprinkle of fresh thyme on top.
- Steamed and pureed with 2 cored and chopped apples.
MORE STARTER BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Sweet Potato Baby Puree – 3 Delicious Ways
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET ME KNOW! I WANT TO SEE YOUR YUMMY CREATIONS! SNAP A PIC AND SHARE IT HERE ON PINTEREST
ACORN SQUASH + GINGER BABY FOOD PUREE
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1/4 tsp fresh ginger root finely grated
- 1/4 cup water breast milk or stock
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon mat.
- Cut acorn squash in half, de-seed and place on baking sheet, skin side down.
- Cook in oven for 45-60 minutes or until squash is tender and can be pricked with a fork. Let cool slightly.
- When cool enough to handle, remove squash from skin and place in blender. Add ginger and puree for 1-2 minutes adding liquid in 1/4 cup increments, if needed, until you have your desired consistency.