This White Fish + Carrot + Leek Baby Food Puree is a great basic starter fish recipe for baby and takes just 20 minutes to make. Fish is such an amazing puree for babies and should definitely be on the weekly recipe rotation! It’s so easy to make into a healthy, homemade puree loaded with omega-3’s and essential nutrients. Great for 6+ months and up!
White Fish + Carrots and Leek Baby Food Puree
It took me awhile to figure out that this was the first ever fish puree that I have made for this blog 🤦♀️ which is a shame because fish is such an amazing puree for babies and an item that should be on a weekly baby food puree rotation.
Let’s first talk about why fish is sssoooooooo amazing for your little one, not only is it filled with omega-3 fatty acids which are essential nutrients that help boost development of baby’s brain and nervous system but fish is also rich in protein that will help baby grow big and strong. I get really hyped about all food but hands down fish is one thing that you should be feeding to your baby and toddler. No joking when I say that fish can (I’m using bullet points here because I’m serious) –
- increase mental focus
- improve vision
- boost mood
- enhance immunity
- prevent eczema
- boost brain functions
- increase IQ
- foster better concentration
- improve sleeping
- help fight cancer and heart disease
- treat ADHD
- ease hyperactivity
- increase emotional stability
The key to helping baby (and toddler) like fish is to start with a mild white fish that doesn’t have an overpowering smell.
I personally love tilapia but sea bass, cod and halibut are also great to use. Once baby starts to build up their taste for fish, you can start to introduce them to salmon, muhi-muhi or tuna. All fish can be made into a baby food puree but broiling, poaching or baking and then blending with a little water or stock. Add to your favorite vegetable puree for a well balance meal.
This puree is my gold medal winner!
A puree that is creamy and mild and made with bright carrots, smooth leeks and a flaky white fish – all gently steamed together and then blended for a puree that baby will probably first sniff at with a questioning look and then devour in no time at all.
MORE BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Roasted Butternut Squash + Thyme Baby Food Puree
White Fish + Carrot + Leek Baby Food Puree
- 6- ounce fish fillet
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 leek white and green parts only, chopped
- 1/2 cup water reserved, breast milk or formula
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a boil over medium heat. Place the fish, carrots and leek into a steamer basket and steam for 15 minutes, covered. Let cool slightly.
- Transfer all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, adding 1/4 cup of liquid at a time, until you have reached your desired consistency.