With whole wheat flour, just a little bit of brown sugar, pumpkin, banana, and warming spices, this Pumpkin Banana Bread is a healthy and easy snack or breakfast that your toddler will love and you’ll feel great about serving.
I have been working on a new recipe lately; a recipe that I am certain is a recipe for disaster. Start with the impending whirlwind of holidays, add one part family traditions, and one part Pinterest, mix with everyone’s expectations and bake with resentment and potential disappointment. Voila! You get a mess.
Is it too soon to feel the stress of the holiday season? Though trick-or-treaters have yet to knock, I know it is creeping into your thoughts too. Plane tickets need to be bought. Holidays negotiated. It’s hard to be present and enjoy the changing leaves, cozy evenings, and pumpkin festivals when my mind is already fast-forwarding to turkeys and candy canes. It has been reassuring to find out I am not alone with the anxiety of the onset of the holidays. In hushed tones on the playground or a walk to the park, I hear my Mama friends sigh, “the holidays are coming.”
What is a Mama to do? My new mantra is=: Slow down and Compromise
It’s hard not to fall prey to attempting to mimic the festive home seen in a pottery barn catalog or attend every holiday festival and gala.
This year, I feel pulled in every direction to incorporate traditions; treasuring the ones that have brought joy to me since childhood, as well as honoring those of new family and friends. Maybe even creating some new ones along the way.
This recipe is a wonderful reminder of how a simple approach with compromise can result in just what you need. Without much hoopla, it is simply perfect. The banana gets a moment to shine, as well as the pumpkin.
And that is what I wish for you, lovely friend, as we embark into this holiday season. A time to shine amongst the joyful things you will do to make this year as every bit wonderful as you envision on your Pinterest board.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9×5 inch loaf pan with butter or parchment paper liner.
- n a large bowl mix pumpkin, mashed bananas, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg until smooth.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly stir in the dry ingredients into wet ingredients until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, rotating once, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack.