Summer Infused Water for Kids
These 3 fun-filled Summer Infused Waters are perfect for both your kids and you! They are simple to make, and are a great way to help keep the kiddos hydrated without turning to sweetened juice!
‘Infused water for kids’ you say? You’ve got to be kidding me 🙄🙄🙄
Oh, I hear you!
But the ‘for Kids’ part of the title, is just a ploy to get you looking.
These infused summer waters, are really meant for you! A cool and refreshing drink that will help keep you hydrated and drinking your water all day long.
And if, and I mean if, your kids are good and ask nicely, then you can share some of your infused water with them 😜
Buuutttt… let me just put out a loud warning here – if you decide to go down the path of giving your kids infused water (‘fancy’ water is what we call it at my house) then be warned that they might not be able to go back to just plain water ever again.
Your little kiddo being all sophisticated and craving fancy water with blackberries, cucumbers, ginger, thyme and lime!
It’s so amazing.. until it’s not.
Until they refuse to drink any plain water because it’s just not good enough for them.
Until they demand that they get fancy water just so they can can open their water bottles up when they are almost done drinking it and proceed to dump all of the remaining contents – leftover water, strawberries, limes and mint – onto the sofa just so they can get their fruit prizes.
Yup, it’s great until that all starts happening.
I learned my lesson the hard way, and now I make them only for a special treat, which is usually during our afternoon snack.
By that time of day, it’s so hot outside that we need something cool and refreshing to keep us going.
Plus, by 3 in the afternoon, I am beyond sick of plain ice water and I could use a little fun beverage to get me through to happy hour!!
So after the girls get up from their naps, I have them help me in the kitchen by picking out a couple fun ingredients for our infused water.
These 3 flavor-combos are our favorites so far!
Parker’s favorite is by far the Strawberry Limealicious, which is filled with a ton of strawberries, slices of lime and a little mint. Ellie loves the Zen Berry, which has cucumber slices, blackberries and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. I think she just loves using the hand juicer for this recipe. I love the Orange Glow because it helps detox and gives your skin a nice glow!
Whichever one you pick to make, share it with your little one. And then cross your fingers it doesn’t turn into a full-on-summer-infused-water obsession!
COOKING WITH KIDS
You can easily have your kids help you make this infused water.
- Toddlers can help pick and measure the ingredients.
- They can help add the water to the jar.
- You can pretty much let older kids make this recipe by themselves.
- They can pick out and measure all of the ingredients.
- They can cut the fruits with a child safe knife.
- They can add the water to the jar.
Get the recipe: Summer Infused Water for Kids
- 3 strawberries
- 4 slices of lime
- Sparkling water
- 4 slices of orange
- peeled ginger
- 2 sprigs thyme
- Sparkling water
- 6 slices cucumber
- 1/4 cup blackberries
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- Add 3 strawberries that are thinly sliced, 4 thin slices of lime and 3 mint leaves to plain or sparkling water. Gently shake or stir and then add in ice to taste.
- Add 4 cut in half slices of oranges, 3 thinly sliced (or diced) peeled fresh ginger and 2 twigs of thyme to plain or sparkling water. Gently shake or stir and then add in ice to taste.
- Add 6 thin slices of cucumber, 1/4 cup of blackberries and 1/4 lemon juiced to plain or sparkling water. Gently shake or stir and then add in ice to taste.