These Grinch Mini Muffins are a great holiday treat for baby and toddler! Made with no added sugar and packed with spinach – these muffins can be served with breakfast, lunch, snack or even a festive dessert!
This post is sponsored by Happy Family Organics. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make it possible for Baby FoodE to produce free baby and toddler recipes.
Grinch Mini Muffins for Baby + Toddler
These mini muffins for baby and toddler are so full of festive cheer that they might make your heart grow three sizes in a day ❤️❤️❤️!
Made with delicious ingredients and no added sugar but with 3 packed cups of spinach, these muffins are a delicious treat.
They can be served with breakfast, lunch, snack or even dessert.
But if you ask me, my favorite time to serve these holiday muffins is when you snuggle up with your little one and read the classic How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Sharing an experience together that is filled with joy and love (and delicious food;) is what the Grinch found this holiday season is all about.
Helpful Tip – If you find that the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas is too long for your little ones, you might want to try this flap board book version. I picked up this shorter version a couple of years ago when my girls were 1 and 3 and they loved how interactive the book was and it completely held their attention.
Reasons to love these healthy mini muffins
- great for baby, toddler and kids
- easy to use for baby-led weaning
- soft and chewy
- no added sugar
- filled with white whole wheat flour, spinach, banana and applesauce
- hidden veggie – spinach!
- great with breakfast, lunch, snack or even dessert
- fits easily in a preschool lunch box
- makes 36 mini muffins – eat some now and freeze some for later
- muffin batter comes together in under 10 minutes
How to make these grinch muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a mini muffin tin with liners or grease.
- In a medium bowl, prep the dry ingredients.
- In a blender, add in the wet ingredients and spinach and blend for one minute or until the spinach is completely broken down. It should look like a green smoothie with no green flecks.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir until combined. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin and pop the muffins into the oven for 12-15 minutes or until just cooked and golden brown.
- Let them cool completely.
- Add the cream cheese into a baggie and snip the corner off of it (so you can using it as a cheap piping bag;)
- Cut the raspberries in half, and then cut a V shape into the top of each half to make them into a heart shape. Place the raspberry, cut side down, onto a paper towel to absorb any moisture.
- Pipe the cream cheese on top of each muffin the size of a quarter, then add the heart shaped raspberry.
Tips for Making the Best Mini Muffins
- Blend the Wet Ingredients – to make sure the spinach gets completely incorporated into the batter, and you don’t get huge chunks of spinach in these muffins, I would recommend that you blend all the wet ingredients in a blender until smooth (roughly 1 minute).
- Gently Mix Together – for a fluffy and soft muffin, gently mix together the wet and dry ingredients until just incorporated. Over mixing the batter will make for a denser and harder muffin.
- Applesauce – to avoid including added sugar in this recipe, make sure the applesauce you use doesn’t have any added sugar in the ingredient list.
- No Sticking – make sure you generously grease the mini muffin molds or use mini muffin liners so that the muffins don’t stick to the pan.
- Dry the Raspberries – once you cut the raspberries in half and make the heart shape, I would place them on a paper towel or kitchen towel to dry up any juices from the raspberries. This will help the juices from running onto the cream cheese and muffin.
Gluten-Free Mini Muffins
You can easily makes these mini muffins gluten by using a cup-for-cup gluten free flour blend.
Three heart options
Besides raspberries, you can also use freeze-dried raspberries or dried cherries for the Grinch’s heart for this recipe. You will need to cut an indent at the top of either one.
Adding More Nutrients
More fun holiday recipes for toddler
- Dark Chocolate Cherry + Almond Clusters
- Easy Chocolate Fondue for Toddlers + Kids (Dairy-Free)
- Healthy Hot Turmeric Cocoa for Toddlers + Kids
- Cranberry Snowballs with Cashew + Coconut
Grinch Mini Muffins for Baby + Toddler
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups spinach, packed
- 3/4 cup milk, regular whole milk or a plain plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce or Happy Family Organics baby food pouch (see notes)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a mini muffin tray with liners or grease.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender, add in the spinach, milk, applesauce or baby food puree, coconut oil, banana, egg and vanilla extract and blend on medium speed for 1 minute or until all of the spinach is completely broken down, scraping sides of blender as needed.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the medium bowl of dry ingredients and gently mix together until just combined, do not over mix.
- Fill the muffin molds 3/4 way full, and bake for 12-15 minutes or until they are just golden brown. Let cool completely on a wire baking rack.
- To add the Grinch Hearts – spoon the cream cheese into a piping bag or a small zip lock baggie (that is what i used above). Use a rubber band to secure the top of the baggie and then cut the very corner of the baggie off to create a hole for the cream cheese to come out of.
- On a cutting board, gently cut the raspberries in half lenghwise. Then place one half of the raspberry on the cutting board, outside facing down, and cut a small V into the top of the raspberry to make a heart shape. Place the cut side of the raspberry onto a paper towel or kitchen towel to soak up any moisture.
- With the piping bag, on the top of the muffin make a quarter size circle of cream cheese. Then add one raspberry heart on top. Repeat until all of the muffins are decorated.