Buying Guide: 10 Best Subscription Boxes for Kids
These 10 Subscription Boxes for Kids provide a variety of quality and engaging products while saving you time and money. Read on for our recommendations for the best subscription boxes for kids ages 3-10 years old.
Best Subscription Boxes for Kids
Ready to take your shopping and gifting game to a whole new level?
Subscription boxes are an easy way to find toys, games, books, art projects and practically-any-other-simply-awesome-play-thing-you-can-think-of to spark your child’s curiosity and development.
In addition, subscription boxes provide your child with specially chosen items based on their age and interests, saving you time from researching toys and planning activities. AND you end up saving money with subscription boxes – many of the items included in a monthly box end up costing more when you buy them individually. (Look at you, savvy shopper!)
Continue reading for our top subscription boxes that provide exceptional quality toys, books, and activities for ages 3-10 years old.
Reasons to Love these Activities Boxes for Kids
- Delivered to your door and addressed to your child – who doesn’t love getting stuff in the mail?
- Activities and items matched to your child’s developmental age
- Saves time and money researching and shopping for toys individually
- Helps your child dig deeper into topics they love, and provides opportunities to discover new interests
- Exceptional quality and value of items all in one box
- Provides screen-free alternatives to educational activities
- Variety of options for subscription price and length of time, depending on your family’s needs
Our Favorite Boxes for Kids
- KiwiCo Boxes
- Green Kid Crafts
- Little Feminists
- Mel Kids
- Brick Loot
- FatBrain Toys
- Think Outside
KiwiCo Boxes: Play Crates (ages 0-12)
Kiwico’s boxes are designed to encourage curiosity, creativity, and problem-solving skills through hands-on projects. They have several different options of “crates” (boxes) for a variety of ages. Also, this subscription box is super affordable. You can get a 12-month subscription for just $17.50/month + free shipping!
🐨 Koala Crate: Play Crates for 2-4-Year-Olds
Koala Crate was created to expose preschoolers to new materials, tools, and concepts for hands-on learning and fun.
🥝 Kiwi Crate: Play Crates for 5-7-Year-Olds
The Kiwi Crate includes STEAM-based projects designed to spark a love for learning, This makes it fun, easy, and delightful for families to spend time building, exploring and creating together.
🌎 Atlas Crate: Play Crates for 6-10-Year Olds
The Atlas Crate was designed to help kids connect with other world cultures through STEAM-based activities.
🤖 Tinker Crate: Play Crates for 9-16-Year Olds
This Tinker Crate infuses STEM concepts into each crate’s themes with enriching projects and activities that are accessible and fun for all types of learners.
One parent’s review:
Always engaging, well put together, educational and fun. We love our time building each crate!-Cindy F
Sign up and start exploring with your kiddo this month!
BitsBox: Code Academy for Kids (ages 6-12)
BitsBox is a learning system that teaches real coding skills. Each level introduces a new computer science concept with a set of fun app projects that come every month! And with subscriptions starting at $16.95/month, this one’s an ideal choice for the aspiring techie in your family.
- How your kids engage with Bitsbox will depend on their age. Younger kids may choose shorter projects and make simpler customizations. Older kids will do the projects faster and need less help.
- Designed for boys and girls, with no coding experience necessary to get started (including grown-ups!)
- Bitsbox works on any computer with a web browser and doesn’t require any downloads.
What parents are saying:
We just got our box yesterday and our daughter started today and we LOVE how engaged she has been!! We love the product!! Absolutely a company we will love to support through the years! Thanks for teaching our girls that they can be interested in computers and making it fun and educational! That is gift enough!-Kelly Leah Tate
Raddish: Creating Confidence in the Kitchen (ages 4-14)
Raddish is a cooking club, culinary lesson, and mealtime solution all-in-one. Young children ages 4 to 6 can enjoy working alongside an adult in the kitchen. Kids and tweens ages 7 to 12 can explore their culinary curiosity and take on an exciting role in preparing family meals. You receive a new kit every month, with different seasonal, global, and holiday themes. A 12-month membership is $20/month (upfront payment $240).
- 3 illustrated recipe guides
- 3 culinary skill cards
- a creative kitchen project
- kid-friendly tools and collectibles, such as Table Talk cards, a culinary tool, and an iron-on Raddish patch
- 1 free Raddish apron with the purchase of a 6 or 12-month membership
- A grocery store shopping list (inside the kit and via email)
- Digital “Bonus Bites” recipes, activities, dietary substitutions, digital lesson plans for homeschool parents and more!
One parent’s review:
She loves Raddish because she loves cooking, and I love Raddish because it gets her (and her siblings) to try new foods!-Kim
Discount Code: Save $15 on a 6-month membership using code ATHOME
Bookroo: An Award-Winning Book Club for Kids (ages 0-10)
Join the Award-Winning Book Club for Kids! A monthly box delivered right to your kids’ imagination! Each month your child will get several “hidden gem” books that will help you fill your bookcases with newfound favorites.
👧 Picture Book Club: Books for kids ages 3-6
The picture book box comes with two hardcover picture books. These books are perfect for reading aloud on a lap or for young readers just learning to read. Books typically have 32-40 pages. Each box includes an insert highlighting the books and offering exclusive details, like insights from authors and illustrators.
👦 Chapter Book Club: Books for kids ages 7-10
And the chapter book box is for advancing young readers ready for longer stories. Our chapter books typically have 120-280 pages. Each box includes an insert highlighting the books and providing parents a guide to inform them about the books and generate discussion.
Why We Love Them:
- Each book comes individually wrapped!
- Save up to 50% over retail value!
- Delivered monthly. Curated by experts!
- Flexible Delivery Schedule
- Cancel Anytime
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
The most important part of any children’s book of the month club type program is GOOD BOOKS. And I think Bookroo does a phenomenal job choosing interesting titles.-Janssen
How it Works:
- Pick a Book Club. They offer book clubs for kids ages 0-10.
- Receive Monthly Book Deliveries. Our delightful book deliveries make books and reading exciting for your child.
- Spend More Time Reading. Fresh reading material + more free time for reading = best decision ever!
Subscriptions start at just $17 a month, which is up to 50% off of the list price!
Green Kid Crafts: Inspiring Creative Leaders (ages 2-10)
Custom curriculum for your preschooler using best practices learned from years of teaching and optimized for fun! Each monthly subscription has an array of hands-on activities, crafts, and worksheets with concepts that are conveniently broken up for you over a four-week period. The activities are working at your own pace and are designed for you to be able to use and work on as your child masters them.
- 4-6 educator-designed STEAM projects
- Award-winning hands-on activities loved by families
- 12-page magazine supports learning and connection
- Now with extra learning opportunities in your inbox
THE best gift ever! Our daughter is so excited to open her new box every month! Each box has 4 to 5 different projects and, honestly, really cool ones. Our daughter has made a complete model solar system, working model lungs and a wooden model airplane from these kits! I can’t wait to see what the rest of the year brings!–ADY
Grab your monthly learning box for your kid today!
Foodstirs: Yum-azing Organic Sweet Treats Baking Kits (ages 5-10)
Uniquely crafted baking kits using only sustainable, organic, and non-GMO ingredients. Make all the classic treats from your childhood that taste amazing, but have 25-50% less sugar than other brands. In addition to subscription kits, Foodstirs offers a variety of baking mixes for cookies, donuts, cupcakes, brownies, and pancakes!
- Subscriptions available in either 1-Kit, 3-Kit or 6-Kit subscription packages shipped every other month, or the option to auto-renew 1 kit at a time
- Prices start at $34.98/kit with free shipping over $30
- Each baking kit includes all the shelf stable ingredients needed to bake and decorate treats, a step-by-step recipe card and activity sheet. Just add eggs, butter, vegetable oil or a little yogurt and enjoy!
- With the Baker’s Club Kit Schedule, you can see in advance which seasonal kit is shipping next in 2022
Sign-up and enjoy “junk-free,” better baking treats this month!
Little Feminists: Raising Good Humans with Books (ages 0-9)
This book subscription aims to diversify your kids’ bookshelf by promoting more children’s books that feature female characters and persons of color. Raise conscious kids by teaching empathy, diversity and inclusion right from the start. Above all, these are incredibly unique books that you won’t find just anywhere – their team of educators and parents read through hundreds to find only the best!
Each monthly box includes:
- 1-2 books (little ones receive board or picture books, older kids receive paperback or hardcover books)
- A hands-on activity with ideas for play-based learning or how to build empathy with the books’ characters
- Discussion card with tips and questions to help navigate themes of the book
- A family letter explaining why and how the books were chosen
- Four different ages ranges to choose from
- Four different subscriptions lengths, with the best value at $18.95/month (+$2.95 shipping) for 12 months
Reading powerful diverse books to my kids is something I can DO. We look forward to it every month and they always become our favorites.-Christina S.
Start diversifying your bookshelf this month!
Mel Kids: Hands-on STEM Projects (ages 5-9+)
These kits deliver monthly science projects, augmented reality lessons and live science classes all in one subscription. Fun and educational kits help kids learn how everyday devices work, through building, learning and playing. This innovative and interactive kit is one the whole family will enjoy!
- Each kit includes all the necessary components and instructions to complete a successful project (such as a space rocket, robotic hand, or spectrum goggles)
- Access to the Mel Kids app to take science education to the next level, with features including augmented reality mode and science lessons
- For kids ages 8-14+ additional kits on topics such as chemistry, physics, and medicine are available
- Mel Kids is available for $34.90/month or $26.20/month when you pre-pay for 12 months (that’s 3 months free!)
When I began these science kits, I had no idea how much the children were going to learn, and how much the adults learned, too. The dynamic of reading, hearing, seeing, making, and exploring produced powerful learning opportunities.-ARVRinEdu
Help nurture your child’s natural interest in science this month!
Brick Loot: For Toy Brick Building Enthusiasts (ages 6+)
Want custom Lego build kits, Lego accessories, Lego minifigures and more sent to your door each month? Look no further – Brick Loot is the subscription box for those who love everything Lego.
- Each box contains Lego and Lego-compatible building kits, including ones created by well-known Lego designers
- Get ready to be surprised each month with a variety of items, including brick accessories, a mini-figure, custom LED brick lights, and exclusive Brick Loot swag
- Variety of subscription plans available, with the best deal at $27/month for 12 months (+$6 shipping).
Sign up and start building this month!
FatBrain Toy: Surprise Ride Subscription Activity Box (ages 5-9)
Surprise Ride is a subscription box created by Fat Brain Toys and it’s for curious kids who love to learn about anything and everything! Each box comes with a surprise project to create and learn about – topics may include science, history, animals, geography, fantasy, and more.
- Each kit includes all project supplies, reading book, keepsake, and step-by-step photo instructions
- Encourage creativity and innovation, with hands-on learning projects
- Available in monthly, 6 month, or 12 month subscriptions, starting at $24.95/month (+$5.99 shipping)
What reviewers are saying:
My grandson looks forward to receiving his project box every month! My daughter and son-in-law love that they have something to entertain my grandson on rainy weekend days!-Swedga
Sign up today for a 12-month subscription + get to pick a bonus kit for free!
Think Outside: Adventure Awaits in the Great Outdoors (ages 4-7)
Instill a love for learning and playing outdoors with Think Outside, Jr. These nature-themed educational boxes provide fun and educational alternatives to screen time while helping your kids build a lifelong interest in the outdoors.
- The Intro kit includes everything needed to get your journey started – canvas satchel to carry gear, a watch, emergency tag and carabiner, outdoor bingo cards, a welcome letter and more!
- After your child’s first package, you’ll receive monthly themed packages that explore different topics. You’ll receive toys and gear to practice new skills, a postcard with fun facts and activities, a 16-page booklet with education, activities, and stories, and much more.
- Two plans available – Think Outside Jr. (ages 4-7) and Think Outside (ages 7-16+)
- Both subscriptions start off with the Intro Kit ($39.95), then choose from monthly, 3-month, 6-month or 12-month plans, with your best deal at $23.95/month for 12 months.
We have been having a great time with these boxes. My son is 5 and we’ve been outside building shelters, practicing fire building (the adults), observing the weather…We love the easy cards. I totally recommend it.-Margaret H.
Save $20 with code BF20 and start exploring!