Beet Chocolate Muffins for Toddler + Kids
These Beet Chocolate Muffins with Cream Cheese Surprise are a healthier version of the traditional red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. They are a great treat for toddler and kids and have a hidden veggie in them:)
This post is sponsored by Babymoov but my love for this product is all my own! Thank you for supporting the brands that support Baby FoodE!
Yes – these muffins are for your toddler
Yes – these muffins are also for you:)
These Beet Chocolate Muffins with Cream Cheese Surprise are a healthier version of the traditional red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. But instead of overloading on the unhealthy fat, sugar and refined wheat, we substitute in white whole wheat flour, olive or coconut oil (both are healthy fats) and your choice of sugar (coconut, stevia, regular, maple syrup).
Plus we fill the muffins with a big serving of beet puree.
Because 1) it makes the muffins a beautiful deep red color and 2) it fills the muffins with immune-boosting vitamin C, potassium and fiber.
But red velvet cake isn’t anything worth eating without the cream cheese icing, so we add just a spoonful of sweetened cream cheese filling into the muffins for a fun mid-muffin surprise!
Perfect for your toddler’s breakfast, lunch or snack, these muffins are surely going to be a big hit. I also recommend you having one for snack with a big cup of hot coffee while standing in your kitchen ignoring your toddler completely destroying your house.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Spiced Blender Pancakes (GF, DF)
- 3 Fall Blender Muffins for Baby + Toddler (GF)
- Back-to-School Granola (NF)
- Toddler Breakfast Oat Cups – 4 Tasty Ways (GF, DF)
Get the recipe: Beet Chocolate Muffins for Toddler + Kids
- 1 1/2 cup white whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar, coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup milk, of choice (cow, almond, hemp, soy, etc)
- 2/3 cup olive, coconut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup beet puree
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
For Cream Cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tsp maple syrup
For Beet Puree
- 2 medium red beets, trimmed, peeled and chopped
Instructions for Nutribaby
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line 12 regular size muffin holes with paper liners.
- Place the beets into the large basket and start steamer cycle for 20 minutes. Let cool slightly and then puree. Measure out 1/2 cup of the puree for this recipe and reserve the rest for another batch of muffins or another recipe. Beet puree can be frozen for 3 months.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar (if using maple syrup blend with wet ingredients), cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves.
- In the blender you used to puree the beets (no need to wash), blend together the milk, oil, beet puree and vanilla extract for 45-60 seconds. Add in the egg and pulse for 10 seconds.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- In a small bowl, add the cream cheese and maple syrup and microwave for 20 seconds. Whisk until smooth.
- Fill each muffin hole with 1 heaping tablespoon of muffin mix, make a slight indent in the muffin mix with the back of your spoon. Spoon 1 teaspoon of cream cheese filling into each indented hole. Cover with another heaping tablespoon of muffin mix, making sure to cover the cream cheese completely.
- Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and serve.
Instructions for Regular Cooking Method
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Place the beets into a steamer basket and steam for 20 minutes or until tender. Let cool slightly. Reserve steamer water.
- Transfer the beets to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth, adding water in 1/4 cup increments if needed.
- Measure out 1/2 cups of beet puree for recipe, reserving the rest for another recipe. Continue as directed above at step 3.