This Basic Beef Baby Food Puree is a great puree to add to your baby’s favorite puree to boost their daily intake of protein and iron. Great for 6+ months!
Beef, it’s whats for dinner! Beef puree, that is.
My usual M.O. for adding beef to baby’s meal, is that while I am blending a puree that sounds like it would go great with beef (purees with sweet potatoes, spinach, blueberries, broccoli or apples all go great with beef) I add a chunk of already cooked beef that is left over from a dinner earlier in the week.
Sometimes this works great, and other times it is a total fail.
The problem is that cooked beef is usually too tough when you go to puree it the next day, or I should say, that cooked beef grilled by my hubby is too tough to make puree with (love you hon!).
The key, just like with the Basic Chicken Baby Puree, is that you have to puree the beef when it is juuuuuuuust done. This makes is juicy, tender and full of flavor.
And because the Basic Chicken Baby Puree turned out so amazing, I made this beef puree the exact same way – gently simmered in beef broth with a pinch of oregano (any dried spice will work) until the beef is just done and brimming with flavor. Then to the blender for a quick puree and spooned into ice cube trays for the freezer. All done in under 30 minutes, 25 minutes of that is hands-free time, so you can get back to dreaming about sipping this cocktail while lounging in your backyard that will someday look like this.
Beef is packed with all the good stuff – protein, iron, calcium and folate. So if you are at all worried about your baby being low in iron, beef puree is the best place to start.
And while it may be counter-intuitive and weird (or it did to me) beef is one of the best first foods for baby.
You don’t need a ton of this puree for baby to reap the benefits. A small spoonful added to baby’s favorite puree will give them all the benefits of this amazing (but not attractive) puree.
Add some beef to these purees:
- Sweet Potato + Coconut Milk + Coriander
- Plum + Blueberry + Spinach + Cilantro Puree
- Cauliflower + Apple with Tandoori Puree
- Broccoli + Olive Oil
- Carrot + Mango + Apricot Puree
MORE BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Roasted Butternut Squash + Thyme Baby Food Puree
Basic Beef Baby Food Puree
- 8 ounce sirloin beef, cubed
- 2 cups low or no sodium beef broth
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- In a medium saucepan, bring beef, broth and oregano to a boil over medium heat. Turn to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until beef is cooked all the way through. Let cool slightly.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef into a blender or food processor (reserve broth) and puree until you have reached your desired consistency, adding 1/4 cup of broth at a time if needed. I used the entire 2 cups of broth for the puree pictured.