This Apple, Butternut Squash, and Carrot Baby Food Puree is seasoned with curry to tempt baby’s tastebuds! This stage two combination recipe is the perfect fall puree for babies 6 months and older, as well as a great freezer stash for lunch and dinner.
Apples, Butternut Squash, Carrots + Curry Baby Food Puree
A couple of weeks ago, I redid all of my recipe archives and noticed that I didn’t have a single recipe using butternut squash. A single one!! I am not sure how that is even possible because butternut squash is an ideal vegetable to make baby puree with.
It’s slightly sweet, versatile, warming, full of nutrients and beyond easy to prepare.
I also noticed that I have no broccoli puree recipes, which is probably due from my distaste for the green tree like vegetable.
No worries, sometime in the new year when we are detoxing and on some super green cleanse, I will bust out the broccoli purees for you and baby. But for now, it is the amazing butternut squash’s turn.
Butternut squash, has a tough exterior but once you peel back it’s layers, it is all soft, fluffy and full of love on the inside. It can be used as one of babies first foods, as a base for a soup, pureed with other vegetables into creamy yumminess or even as a pasta sauce. You make make is extra sweet, savory, spicy or caramelized. It really can be anything and everything you want it to be. It is full of folate, fiber, vitamin A, calcium, iron and potassium, all of which help baby grow and develop.
So over the next two weeks, get ready for some serious loving on the butternut squash. I already have 4 recipes lined up for you, and there is no doubt that I could easily push this love affair on for the entire month:)
This puree was inspired by a recent thai dish that I had over at a friends house, which was filled with chicken, butternut squash, carrots and a variety of other vegetables that I cannot remember because I couldn’t stop eating and thinking about the way the light curry sauce, carrots and butternut squash worked together. It was over the top good! Dare I even say it – it was Delish! I thought about it for days. It was warming, earthy, sweet but with just the right amount of peppery spice and had that amazing buttery, melt in your mouth texture. I knew I would have to turn this recipe into a puree for baby. Although, curry may seem like a deep and complex flavor for baby, a mild curry blend is filled with coriander, cumin, turmeric, ginger and curry leaves. All spices that are warming, nourishing and provide baby with a bonus dose of nutrients. Be careful though, some curries have some heat to them, so it’s always best to taste it first before adding it to any baby puree.
Other great ways to enjoy this puree:
- Serve puree with chickpeas, peas and brown rice for a chunky toddler meal.
- Mix with spinach and white fish puree for a well rounded baby dinner.
- Thin puree with chicken stock and drizzle with coconut milk for a family soup.
- Combined with a chicken puree for a thai inspired dish.
Apples, Butternut Squash and Carrots with Curry Baby Food Puree
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughy chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp mild curry powder
- Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Place apples, butternut squash and carrots into a steamer basket over boiling water, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. All ingredients will be done when they can easily be pricked with a fork.
- Let cool slightly. Reserve steamer water.
- Transfer all ingredients into a blender or food processor, add curry and puree for 1-2 minutes adding water from steam basket in 1/4 cup increments until you have reached your desired consistency.