Pesto Rainbow Pizza for Toddler + Kids
This Veggie-Loaded Toddler Rainbow Pizza is a fun and colorful way to get even the pickiest toddlers to eat their veggies!
I’m pretty sure if you make any food into a 🌈, all toddlers and kids will go crazy for it! At least it seems that way at my house.
That might also have something to do with the fact that Ellie is in an extreme Rainbow Dash My Little Pony phase right now. Even though I won’t let her watch the tv show (I am a mean parent like that), she still powers through and has to wear rainbow colored clothing every-single-day, while carrying at least one but preferably three Rainbow Dash toys with her at all times.
So, of course when I made her this 🌈 pizza, she had a brief freak-out from extreme excitement before she dug in and polished off two of these mini pizzas.
Besides causing kiddo freak-outs, these fun pizzas are also beyond easy to make and are filled with lots and lots of veggies. We are going to load them up with not one but three different colors of bell peppers, plus with the help of my favorite brand of baby purees, we are also going to add in a good amount of peas and spinach!
Let’s get started making these easy toddler pizzas 🌈🍕🙋🏻
First we are going to mix together your favorite store-bought or homemade pesto with two heaping spoonfuls of Beech-Nuts just peas & spinach puree. You can really add in any green puree you want because your kiddo will never even know it is in there. While I am not a big fan of sneaking in veggies, this is a total win because let’s face it, getting toddlers to eat green veggies is a struggle that is real.
Then we spread the pesto mixture onto an english muffin or any other pre-made pizza vessel before topping it with a handful of cheese.
Next, we have fun with three different colors of peppers and make a rainbow or any other design you want. You can also just sprinkle the peppers on top if you are short on time.
Pop them into the oven for 10 minutes, and your fast lunch or dinner is done!
Cooking with Kids
Another fun idea is to have your toddler help make these pizzas with you. Even though my girls make a ginormous mess every time we bake in the kitchen together, they can handle this easy to assemble cooking project.
Because this recipe doesn’t have too many complicated steps or precise measuring required, it is perfect for those kids that are messy, want an easier cooking project or for those kiddos that are new to cooking in the kitchen.
A big bonus for letting kids make their own food is that I have found they will tend to eat more veggies when they can make it for themselves. That fact alone makes it worth the kitchen mess (almost)!
Get the recipe: Pesto Rainbow Pizza
- 2 English muffins cut in half (pre-made mini pizza crusts or bagels work as well)
- 1/3 cup pesto, pre-made or homemade
- 1/4 cup each red, orange and yellow peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Taking one half of an English muffin, spread roughly 2 tablespoons of pesto on top and then sprinkle with cheese. Taking the peppers, make a small rainbow or any design you would like on top of the cheese.
- Repeat with all of the English muffins.
- Place the topped English muffins onto a baking sheet, and bake for 8-10 minutes, then heat oven to broil and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.