This fun and tasty Roasted Yellow Squash + Olive Oil with Cilantro Baby Food Puree will be a hit with your little one! Creamy, rich and full of flavor, it’s hard not to love this amazing puree. Great baby food for 4 months and up – stage 1 baby food.
There is something so magically summer about yellow squash.
Maybe it’s their color.
Or maybe it is the way they can be plucked off the vine, still warm from the afternoon sun, mixed with a little olive oil then roasted and used as a side to almost anything you are making for dinner.
Or possibly, it’s the fact that when yellow squash are in season, they are in season! They are like the rabbits of the vegetable family. They just keep coming and coming.
In shear numbers that are on the edge of creating an army.
And just when you think you have had your fill, suddenly a whole new crop pops up and you have a million more to consume before they go bad.
This is where I step in, since I didn’t plant any this year, I am waiting for that time when all my friends and family, who had the time to plant them and lovenly grow them for me, are at their wits end trying to get rid of them. Then I politely take a couple bags off their hands and get to work. Pureeing, roasting, grilling. You can’t go wrong.
These simple, delicate and versatile little gems are easy to cook and filled with an abundance of Vitamin A, Potassium, Folate, Magnesium and Calcium. They are a perfect first food for your little one because of their smooth flavor and silky texture.
So if you are in the same boat as I am and didn’t think ahead to plant some, go ahead and make some new friends that have. They are going to need someone just like to you unload their armies of squash on in the next couple of weeks.
Other ways to enjoy this healthy puree:
- Mix with Mango puree and tuna or salon puree for a caribbean inspired dish
- Puree with white beans, olive oil, paprika and tahini for a scrumptious toddler dip
- Whisk puree in with eggs, cheddar cheese, green onions, chopped spinach and leeks for an easy and healthy omelet
- Combine squash puree in with healthy whole wheat or gluten free pasta noodles, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and a dash of black pepper
MORE STARTER BABY FOOD RECIPES YOUR BABY WILL LOVE:
- 7 Organic Starter Baby Purees for Under $20
- 15 Stage One Baby Purees (that actually taste delicious)
- 10 Super Starter Purees for Baby (Tips, Recipes and Starters Guide on How to Feed Baby)
- 5 Minute Mango Baby Food Puree
- Sweet Potato Baby Puree – 3 Delicious Ways
ROASTED YELLOW SQUASH BABY FOOD PUREE
- 2 medium yellow squash cut into 1/2″ half moons
- 2 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 tsp fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1/4 cup liquid water, breast milk or stock
- Heat oven to 400 Degree. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cut squash onto the baking sheet and bursh with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes, flip the squash and bake for another 10 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Place the squash and cilantro a blender or food processor and puree on high for 1-2 minutes, adding the liquid in if needed.