PlanetBox Rover Review
Is the PlanetBox Rover really worth it? In this review, I will give you my honest and in-depth expert knowledge of this lunchbox, including its pros and cons, user experience, and details such as materials used, is it leakproof, and can it go in the dishwasher, and so much more. Everything you need to know about the PlanetBox Rover is in this buyer’s guide. And spoiler alert, in my opinion, the Rover is totally worth it!
The areas I am going to review on this product are:
- Key Features
- User Experience
- Is the Rover leakproof?
- Does the Rover keep foods hot/cold?
- Can PlanetBox go in the dishwasher?
- What is Planetbox Rover made of?
- Are PlanetBoxes worth it?
- PlanetBox Carry Bag & Accessories
- Pros & Cons
- What Parents are Saying
In this review, I will share everything you need to know about the PlanetBox Rover. Starting from our user experience, the pros and cons, materials used, is the Rover leakproof, to my honest review, and so much more! Because when I am about to drop some serious money on a lunchbox, I want to know everything about it.
Ready to get started? Here we go…
Looking for school lunch inspirations? Then be sure to check out my best-selling school lunch cookbook for even more information and recipes!
Here are some of my favorite key features of the PlanetBox Rover:
- Toxic-free: contains no lead, PVC, phthalates or BPA material.
- Made out of 18/8 and 18/0 stainless steel and has a brushed metal finish.
- Easy to clean. Just stick it in the dishwasher. Make sure to remove magnets first! You can store them on the refrigerator or another convenient spot when the lunchbox is not in use.
- Includes 2 leak-proof containers, Big Round Dipper and Little Round Dipper, for a variety of “wet” food possibilities.
- 5 compartments to make packing a variety of foods easy with separation.
- Everything works together from the lunch bag, to the cute magnetics to the fun containers.
- Best for kids 5+ and adults with smaller appetites.
Overall the Rover is absolutely a fantastic lunchbox! It has good-sized compartments for ages 5+ that are slightly rounded at the bottom,, making for easier eating. The latch to open the lunchbox is easy to use, and my kids have never had a problem opening their own lunches at school. Plus, the fun magnets, lunch bags, colorful pods, and other fun accessories make this school lunch box have a custom feel that the kids love.
One thing that I have found is that the PlanetBox, more than any other lunchbox, is that becauce it has various sized comparments that can get filled with smaller amounts of foods it pushes me to fill it with healthy foods in creative ways that my kids really respond to. I have found that this is great for picky or selective eaters.
You can clean the PlanetBox Rover two different ways – by hand or in the dishwasher. Either way is super simple, and out of all of the lunchboxes I have tried over the years, the Rover is actually the easiest to clean by hand. This is because the rounded corners on both the lid and the lunchbox base allow you to get into it with a brush and some soap easily. You can also stick the lunchbox directly into the dishwasher for an even easier hands-off clean. All Pods and Satellite Dishes are also dishwasher safe.
Is the Rover Leakproof?
No, the Rover itself is not leakproof. The PlanetBox were designed to keep the foods from touching each other but not be leakproof. This means there is a small space between each of the compartments. This space is minimal and foods cannot move from one compartment to another, but liquids would get out. Each Rover comes with a small and large Dipper container, which is leakproof and allows you to safely send yogurt, hummus, wet fruit, etc., to school without incident. You can also purchase additional containers or pods for your Rover.
Does The Rover Keep foods Hot/Cold?
No, the PlanetBox Rover does not keep foods hot. You would have to send a separate thermos if you wanted to send hot foods to school or try a lunchbox such as the OmieBox (click here to read my OmieBox review).
If you want to send cold foods, I would recommend adding an ice pack to the lunch bag to keep the contents of the lunchbox cool until lunchtime.
Can PlanetBox go in the dishwasher?
Yes! It’s one of my favorite things about the lunchboxes from PlanetBox, they can all go straight into the bottom rack of your dishwasher. Of course, you will need to take any magnets off first. I have washed my Rover lunchboxes hundreds of times in the dishwasher and have never had a problem.
What is Planetbox Rover Materials?
If you are looking for a lunchbox that doesn’t contain any plastic, then this is the lunchbox for you! The Rover is a stainless steel lunchbox that contains no lead, PVC, phthalates, or BPA materials. The lunchbox tray is made out of 18/8 (304 stainless steel), the lid is made out of 18/0 (430 stainless steel), the dipper bowls are made with 18/8 (304 stainless steel) food-grade silicone for the Dipper tops. In addition, lunchbox and Dippers have a brushed metal finish.
Are PlanetBoxes worth it?
My kids and I love the Planetbox Rovers that we have! But whether they are worth it or not completely depends on your own circumstances and children – the price tag is hefty, your child might misplace everything, you might want to pack your own lunches but then realize that your school lunches are a better fit for your family, and so on. So before you decide one way or another to get the Rover, it’s good to think about what your family and child really need.
We are fortunate enough to be able to purchase these lunchboxes, and since we use them every day during the school year and will continue to use them for years to come, I personally think they are worth it for us. I truly believe that the PlanetBox Rover is one of the top lunch boxes on the market.
But that isn’t to say that there aren’t other lunch boxes that are just as good, have different features, and a variety of other price tags that may be a better fit for you. If you want to read more about what lunchboxes are on the market, head over to my post, where I review 9 of my favorite lunchboxes.
PlanetBox Carry Bag & Accessories
The Planetbox Rover fits perfectly in the PlanetBox Carrying Bag which features a place for a water bottle, a snack pocket, a mesh pocket to store an ice pack, an elastic holder for utensils, and an adjustable carrying strap.
There are so many fun accessories for the Rover:
- Magnets: Dress your lunchbox up for seasons, favorite colors, pets and more! Fun magnets to place on the lid of the lunchbox with designes that include unicorns, dinosaurs, space, mermaids, sharks and so many more!
- Water Bottles: Leakproof water bottles that fit perfectly into the Carrying Bag.
- Pods: Fun colored small pods that are perfect for smaller portions of food and makes eating fun by separating veggies, snacks and fruits.
- Magnetic Utensils: A magnetic fork and spoon that nest together and feature a grippy silicone handle for the smallest of hands.
Pros & Cons
- Materials. High quaility materials will last for years, creating significantly less waste.
- Cleaning. Easy to clean: dishwasher safe or by hand.
- Fun to Pack. Most families find that filling the 5 compartments to be fun, not overwhelming.
- Design. The design of the lunchbags, magnets, pods and other accessories are colorful and fun.
- Lunchbag. The Rover fits niclely in the PlanetBox lunchbags, which are well made and feature a place for an ice pack, water bottle, a carring strap, snack pocket and utensil holder.
- Weight. The Rover can be heavy for some kids (especially younger kids) to carry to school.
- Price. The price can be steep for a lot of parents.
- Leakproof: while you get a small and large leak-proof container, the PlanetBox Rover itself is not leakproof.
What Parents are Saying
And it’s not just me who’s completely in love with the PlanetBox Rover! Here’s what a couple of parents have to say from the Amazon review section…
LOVE this lunchbox! It is easy to clean, it’s dishwasher safe. The instructions say to take the magnets off before washing, so I do that, and it still looks new. Highly recommend!Tx mom
So far we love our planet box. Came with two separate inserts with leakproof lids. Love the shallow compartments. The bag is insulated and fits over your shoulder perfectly. And love that it is eco friendly and stainless steel.Jane
My son has had this lunchbox for 3 years and when it came time for my daughter to enroll in school I knew immediately we would be ordering another Rover lunchbox. My daughter has already used it prior to school starting and is excited to pack her lunch in the Rover. You will not be disappointed if you purchase this. No more buying baggies or little containers again.Jaclyn L.
Note: I reviewed this product because I personally think it is an amazing product and think you need one in your life if you have school-aged children – this is not a paid sponsorship.
PlanetBox Rover Review
Product Name: PlanetBox Rover
Product Description: Are you looking for a lunchbox that will last your child years? Then let me introduce you to the PlanetBox Rover! A stainless steel lunch box that both you and your child will love.
The PlanetBox Rover was designed for variety and versatility and has four main compartments and one special treat spot. Great for kids 5 years and up.
- easy to pack
- dishwasher safe
- saves time
- high-quality materials
- produces less waste
- easy to open
- great designs and fun add-ons
- comes with leakproof containers
- container not leakproof
- can be heavy for small kids