A filling and healthy version of your standard quesadilla – filled with a kale, spinach and apple spread and loaded with beans and cheese for a complete meal that most toddlers (and parents) can’t resist!!
Who doesn’t love a warm quesadilla that is crunchy on the outside and gooey and creamy on the inside????
((everyone except my kiddos raises their hands))
Especially if this quesadilla is perfect for dipping into some steaming tomato soup on a cold day, or used as a vehicle to get guacamole into your mouth, or to be used as a side dish to your game day beer!
It’s like quesadilla daydreams happening right now!
To say that I LOOOOOOVEEEEEE a good quesadilla is an understantment! I usually get up on Sunday morning and while drinking my second cup of coffee I start to piece together what ingredients I am going to toss into my 11 o’clock lunch quesadilla.
I mean, just because we are grown ups doesn’t mean we can’t partake and enjoy a kid favorite! Right!?!
Except when your kids don’t eat quesadillas at all! <—— not exactly sure what is wrong with them, but I am working on it! I know real life mom problems happening here! And don’t think I don’t get the irony in the fact that I am writing a kid food post for a kids blog when my kids don’t actually like the food I am writing about! I get it! The thing is I know your kids probably devour foods like quesadilla, sandwiches and grilled cheese on the regular, as they should!
Back to me – recipe is for my newest quesadilla obsession and it that also happens to be healthy.
((some hands drop))
Don’t let this fool you – these quesadillas rock!
First, we start by making a healthy kale, spinach and apple spread. Because I for one don’t like to bite into my warm quesadilla and get a mouthful of kale. And I know for sure, every toddler will back me up on this one.
So we quickly whip up a kale, spinach and apple spread.
!!!!!WARNING – this spread is good!!!!!! You should probably make a double batch of this spread so you can add some to your scrambled eggs or toss into some leftover pasta. Just saying…
Then we take some healthy whole wheat tortillas, spread the kale spread onto one piece, sprinkle a few beans on for some extra protein and the add a good layer of cheese.
You could also add some cooked chicken or beef, red peppers, chunks of apple, jalapeños (for grown ups) or even some fresh cilantro.
Now, does that sound like a tasty and healthy quesadilla that both the kiddos and you will become obsessed with??
((all hands go back up))
That’s what I thought!
Now, I just have to get my girls on the quesadilla train! But for now that means I get to eat all of these quesadillas by myself!!!!!
COOKING WITH KIDS
You can easily have your kids help you make these quesadillas.
- They can pick out and measure the ingredients.
- They can put the pesto ingredients into the blender. Teach them that the blades are sharp and to be careful.
- With help, they can help to place the toppings on the tortillas.
Kale + Spinach Quesadilla
- 1/2 cup packed spinach
- 2 kale leaves, de-stemed
- 1/2 apple, cored and chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper
- 4 10-inch tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, seperated
- 1/4 cup white beans, washed
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
For Spicy Lime Sauce
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/4 tsp Sriracha
- In a food processor or blender, add in spinach, kale, apple, garlic, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup of cheese and pulse until just combined, scrapping down sides as needed.
- Pre-heat large skillet over medium heat. Pour in half of the oil and let it get hot.
- Take 1 tortilla and spread half of the kale mixture onto it, sprinkle half of the beans and half of the remaining cheese. Cover with a tortilla and place into skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until the tortilla is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas and ingredients.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add the yogurt, lime juice and Sriracha (to taste) and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Let quesadilla cool slightly, cut into wedges, drizzle with spicy lime sauce and serve. I also recommend serving this with a big bowl of guacamole:)