Homemade Vanilla Milk
Who would have thought something so simple could taste so good? We’re talking about homemade vanilla milk, and I’ll bet you have all 3 ingredients in your kitchen right now! This milk is made in 2 minutes and is a great addition to any toddler or kid’s breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Easy Vanilla Milk
If you’re anything like me, you may have heard about vanilla milk and thought, really? What’s all the fuss about? Isn’t it a lot like regular milk?
Well, my friend, I’m here to tell you that this stuff feels a little magical. I can’t put my finger on it, but something about this little combination of vanilla extract and maple syrup mixed into milk really feels like a treat. You might never want to drink regular milk again.
Make up a big batch and you’ll find yourself enjoying this delicious homemade vanilla milk all week long. It’s a perfect addition to lunch, dinner, or even for a quick snack.
Feeding kids can be tricky! But don’t worry; we’ve got you covered! Here you can find 40 Family Dinner Ideas, over 100 Kid Snack Ideas, great Hidden-Veggie Recipes, 50 Cooking with Kids Recipes, and so much more! And for even more family-friendly recipes, check out my best-selling cookbook Little Foodies: Recipes for Babies and Toddlers with Taste.
Reasons to Love This Homemade Vanilla Milk
- Easy peasy – just 3 ingredients!
- Good source of calcium, protein, and vitamin D
- Less sugar than store-bought brands
- Perfect for a quick snack or as part of lunch or dinner
- Can be made ahead of time
- Great beginner recipe for kids to help in the kitchen
- Milk: use whole milk or any plain unsweetened plant-based milk, such as soy, almond, coconut, etc.
- Maple Syrup: for a little sweetness, you can also use honey, agave nectar or pitted dates.
- Vanilla Extract: use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
Health Benefits of Vanilla Milk: Milk is full of nutrients needed for growing girls and boys, including calcium for strong bones, protein for growing muscles, carbohydrates for energy, and fats for brain development.
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar or jar with a lid. Give a good shake for about 30 seconds to mix it up. You can also use a blender.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Store
Homemade vanilla milk should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. Give it a good shake or quick stir before serving.
What Type of Milk to Use
The best milk for toddlers 1-2 years old is whole cow’s milk, assuming they do not have an allergy or intolerance. However, you can also use plant-based milk, such as coconut, almond, soy, hemp, or oat milk. Regardless of the plant-based milk, choose one that has no added sugar and has been fortified with calcium and vitamin D.
Cooking with Kids
You can easily have your kids help you make this flavored milk.
- Toddlers can help measure and pour the ingredients into the cup.
- They can help put the lid on and then shake until all of the ingredients are well incorporated. Note: if using a blender, make sure to talk about not touching the blender blade while making something in the blender, as it can be sharp.
- Have them pour their milk into their cup.
- You can pretty much let older kids make this recipe by themselves.
- They can pick out and measure all of the ingredients. Note: make sure to talk about not touching the blender blade while making something in the blender, as it can be sharp.
- Have them pour the vanilla milk into their own cup as well as a second cup for you!
- Do not give cow’s milk as a drink to babies under one year of age.
- Limit dairy consumption to 16-24 ounces a day for kids 12-24 months and 2-2.5 cups for kids 2-5 years of age. Too much milk can make bellies too full for other foods and displace other nutrients, including iron.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of vanilla or sweetener to your liking.
- Add a little dash of cinnamon for extra flavor!
- You might want to make a double batch of this one – it doubles as a very yummy coffee creamer for adults.
- For daily-free vanilla milk, use a plain plant-based milk.
Get the recipe: The Best Homemade Vanilla Milk (2 Minutes)
- Add all ingredients into a large cup with a lid or a blender.
- Shake or blend for 30 seconds or until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour into a glass and serve!