This Healthy Zucchini Bread is made with whole wheat flour, agave nectar, applesauce, olive oil, a good amount of zucchini and warm spices. A delicious and nutritious bread that is both toddler and mom approved!
Confession, I have 5 loaves of this Healthy Zucchini Bread in my freezer right now.
Having that many loaves in ones freezer might be on the verge of hoarding, but hoarding healthy and delicious zucchini bread is a problem I can live with!
First of all, the girls LOVE this recipe and will eat it for a quick breakfast on the go, warmed with butter for an easy snack or smeared with cream cheese for a lunchtime meal.
And secondly, anytime I can have a quick meal made with a vegetable, a fruit, a dose of healthy fats and a little protein, I will take it. This bread is also loaded with fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, potassium, magnesium, vitamin A and C and is refined-sugar free.
But maybe the most import thing is that this healthy bread pairs perfectly with a warm cup of coffee for a mid-morning treat for me.
3 easy variations to this recipe –
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread – following the recipe below, reduce the flour to 1 cup and add in 1/2 cup cocoa powder instead. Then add in 1/2 cup chocolate chips during step 5 when you stir in the zucchini. Adding the walnuts is still an optional. Continue to bake as directed.
- Blueberry Zucchini Bread – following the recipe below, omit the walnuts and instead stir in 1 cup of fresh or frozen (but not thawed) blueberries. Continue to bake as directed.
- Carrot Zucchini Bread – following the recipe below, reduce the zucchini to 3/4 cup and add in 3/4 up of grated carrots. Continue to bake as directed.
Healthy Toddler (and Mom) Approved Zucchini Bread
1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour*
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup olive oil, butter or coconut oil (melted)
1/2 cup agave nectar, maple syrup, honey or sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease one loaf pan with butter or oil and then dust with flour.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, olive oil, agave nectar and vanilla extract until well combined and smooth.
4. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Add in the zucchini and half of the walnuts (if using) and gently fold in.
6. Pour the zucchini mix into the loaf pan, spreading out until level. Sprinkle on the remaining walnuts.
7. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
* Note on Flour – you can also use whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour or a mix of them. I find that white whole wheat flour works great for baked goods and is still loaded with all the benefits of whole wheat flour (read more here). You can also make this gluten free by switching out the flour for a gluten free mix, my fav is this one.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Baked Time: 45-55 minutes
Yield: 8-10 slices
Storage: 4 days on counter or 3 months in freezer