This healthy Harvest Chicken Salad is full of cubed chicken, apples, pecans and dried cranberries, all tossed with a yogurt and mustard dressing. Easy for you to make and easy for your toddler (and you) to devour!
Lately, it seems like I have a knack for posting recipes that are really just a big ol’ bowl of yummy chicken for you to droll over (exhibit A).
And while, I guess I could roll this in a tortilla along with some spinach and call it ‘Kids Harvest Chicken Wrap for School Lunch’, my thinking is that you would rather have some recipes at your disposal that are flexible enough to morph with what you got going on in your life. Recipes you can use for your toddlers lunch, your lunch, a quick dinner, on bread, over greens, rolled into a wrap, and on and on and on. Easy recipes that you can make once (and hopefully in double batch form) and have around all week to create several different meals from.
If this is also your thing, as I know it will be since we generally think alike, what do the say about great minds.. then this Harvest Chicken Salad is for you!
This Harvest Chicken Salad recipe isn’t your soggy grocery store chicken salad, I would never!
This chicken salad is a fun mixture of chicken, pecans, apples and dried cranberries all tossed in a super light yogurt and mustard dressing. I also tossed in some parsley, for an extra bit of color and spice.
First, we make a very light yet creamy and flavorful dressing that we toss all the chunky chicken salad goodness in. We whisk together some plain greek yogurt, grain mustard, honey, parsley and cumin. Yes, we did just use greek yogurt in our chicken salad and it is amazing! But if you aren’t down for that, then you can easily sub in mayo (or as my husband calls is mayonnaise:) or even a mixture of both.
Then we toss in some cooked and cubed chicken, chopped pecans, chopped apples and some dried cranberries. Cuz, if your toddler is anything like mine, they will eat anything with dried cranberries in it! Plus it adds a nice tart flavor and chewy bite to our mix that we have going on.
A little sweet. A little crunch. A little tart. A whole lotta healthy!
Awesome Ways to Eat this Harvest Chicken Salad:
- Rolled in a whole wheat tortilla along with a huge handful of spinach and cut into 1″ sections for finger wraps.
- Served on top of a bed of lettuce with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar dressing for a healthy momma lunch.
- Spread onto crackers, mini rice cakes or even slices of cucumber for a quick snack.
- Scoop into a half of a whole-wheat pita along with a few slices of Gouda, Gruyere or Provolone cheese and heated in the microwave or small saucepan until warm.
- For an easy school lunch, spread between two thin slices of whole wheat bread and cut into triangles or if you really want to get fancy, cut out using your favorite cookie cutter.
- For a fun and easy party dish, place a small scoop on top of a round cracker and top with a sprinkle of finely chopped parsley and an extra dried cranberry.
Harvest Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1/2 cup plain full-fat greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp grain mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tbsp cranberries, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix together the yogurt, mustard, honey, parsley, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Add in the cooked chicken, apple, pecans and cranberries and mix until well incorporated.
- Serve and enjoy.