Fiesta Bowl for Toddler + Kids
These Fiesta Bowls make for an easy and delicious weekday dinner for toddlers, kids and you! So easy to customize these bowls with whatever ingredients you prefer or have on hand.
This meal happens at least once a week in our house, and I am totally fine with that. It’s easy, fast and varied based on what I have lefted over in my fridge and pantry. One week it might be black beans, red peppers and corn, the next it will be refried pinto beans, cheddar cheese and zucchini. We generally always have the same base to our Fiesta bowls because let’s face it, I’m just not that creative – brown rice mixed with olive oil and cilantro and some type of beans on top, for us a black bean or pinto bean. Then you just add each and every ingredient that sounds good to you. That is where the magic happens. Want to add some roasted chicken or seasoned tofu. Yum! How about some grilled corn and peppers. Yumm! Got some extra Avocado, Sour Cream and Pumpkin Seeds laying around. Yummm!
So this isn’t really a recipe but an inspiration on a [cheap!!] weekly meal that can change with what you have and what you are craving.
The best part is that everyone can make it their own way. I usually go for a lettuce bowl topped with rice, beans, all the toppings and an almost too large amount of my favorite salsa. My hubby usually goes for some tacos and salad on the side. The little one, well she just enjoys all the little items she can scoop into her mouth regardless if it makes it into the bowl or not.
Get the recipe: Family-Friendly Fiesta Bowls
- 2 cups cooked rice, brown or white
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1/2 lime, juice
- handful cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 cups black beans, well rinsed
- 1 cup corn, frozen, canned or fresh
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, cut into small sections
- 1 cup salsa, optional
- In a medium bowl, add warm cooked rice, olive oil, cilantro and lime juice and stir to combine.
- Gently heat beans and corn.
- Let everyone spoon their favorite items it a bowl.
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream or plain yogurt
- cooked ground turkey, chicken beef or tofu and flavor with some spices – chili, onion, garlic and cumin.
- tortillas – corn or flour
- cheese quesadillas
- tortilla chips
- pumpkin seeds
- green peppers
- sauted zucchini, onion or tomatoes
The best thing about Fiesta bowls is that everyone can customize their own. I usually let the little one spoon all the ingredients into her own bowl before dinner, a way that I find helps them want to eat all their veggies. So the above measurements are very general and just a guide to get you going.