These Black Bean Tostadas with Strawberry Salsa are an easy summer-flavored family dinner that can be made in less then 20 minutes!
I’m starting to panic!
I was looking at our family calendar this past weekend and I realized that besides soccer, swim lessons and one weekend camping trip we have NOTHING going on this summer.
No fun summer trips.
No exciting weekends away.
No friends coming to stay with us.
It feels a little lonely having no plans (and maybe also a little refreshing knowing our days are completely free), but mostly I want to be at a cabin, on a beach or even in a car seeing something different/eating at new places/drinking at new bars.
So I started frantically googling things like ‘best cabins on lakes’, ‘best family get-aways’ and ‘cheap but amazing place to stay’ along with every state that boarders Colorado – I’m not afraid of a little road trip <——- says the mom that has never actually been on a road trip with 2 kids before!
I couldn’t find anything.
So my plans for a summer get-a-way are slowing fading.
So pllleaaasssssseee if you have any recommendations, please please please let me know. I will love you forever and my summer diet with hate you forever:) Fair trade off I think.
In the meantime, I will be at home eating these Black Bean Tostadas with as much Strawberry Salsa and avocado as I can spoon on top!
I first made these tostadas a couple of months ago and posted them on Instagram and then in my 30+ Healthy Lunch + Dinner Meal Ideas for Kids post. And since then, we have made these at least 5 times!
The reason – the are DELICIOUS!
Bonus – they are also super easy to make!
This twenty-minute meal (more like 15 if you can multi-task your way around your kitchen) can be made in a snap in the event that you 1) don’t want to cook 2) are running beyond late from work/soccer practice/the pool 3) don’t want to heat up your kitchen for any longer then necessary.
These Tostadas are full of protein from the beans, healthy fat from the avocado, fresh flavor from the strawberries and a little fun from the cotija cheese.
A fun healthy twist on a Mexican classic, no travel required:)
Black Bean Tostadas with Strawberry Salsa
- 6 corn tostadas
- 1 15- ounce can refried black beans
- 1 cup strawberry salsa
- 1/2 avocado thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese
- 2 wedges lime optional
- hot sauce optional – for grown-ups
- For Tostadas
- 1 pound strawberries hulled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 lime juiced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, add in the strawberries, cilantro, red onion, garlic and lime juice and gently mix until incorporated. Place in fridge until ready to use.
- In a small saucepan, heat the refried black beans on medium-low heat until warm, stirring occasionally.
- Lay tostadas on baking sheet and heat for 5-7 minutes until warm.
- To assemble the tostadas, spread 2 tablespoons black beans onto each tostadas, spoon 2 tablespoons strawberry salsa on top, lay 2-3 pieces of avocado (chunks work better for smaller kiddos, squeeze on a little lime juice and sprinkle with cotija cheese. Add hot sauce for grown-ups if you like.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Note about Cotija Cheese – if you can’t find Cotija cheese, you can also use feta or romano cheese.
- Note about Tostadas – you can also use regular taco shells or your favorite tortillas in this recipes as well.