These 30 Whimsical Christmas Books for Kids are going to become your family’s new favorite books to read during the festive holiday season!
But once my daughters and I read the classics together a couple of times, I find that it is time to branch out and explore new holiday books together. We find ourselves getting lost in less-known but just as magical books that are filled with beautiful illustrations, enchanting characters and stories that are so endearing that our hearts simply cannot help but fall in love with these wonderful holiday books.
Some of our favorites are classic tales retold in a new way or with beautiful new illustrations, some are classic songs that come to life on the pages of a book, while others are new holiday stories that I know will soon become classic holiday books in our home.
Below you will find 30 of our favorite whimsical holiday books that we hope you enjoy much as we do 📚🎄❤️!
MORE HOLIDAY BOOK AND GIFT GUIDE POSTS
- 20 Playful Holiday Board Books for Baby
- 14 Magical Holiday Story Books for Toddler
- 50 Must Have Holiday Gifts for Baby
- 75 Must Have Holiday Gifts for Toddler
- 100 Must Have Holiday Gifts for Kids
STORY BOOKS FOR AGES 4-7
- The Little Reindeer – An enchanting Christmas story about a magical yet unlikely friendship between a little girl and a lost reindeer sure to be a Christmas classic lovingly told and illustrated with red foil highlights and interactive die cuts.
- The Twelve Days of Christmas – Bursting with gorgeous illustrations that accompany the lyrics to this classic carol, the festive artwork and jolly characters capture all the merriment of the popular Yuletide tune.
- A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree – This charming tale of an overgrown pine always being passed by for Christmas, and what his woodland friends do to help him, is sure to become a Christmas classic.
- Last Stop on the Reindeer Express – Young readers will love opening doors that lead into the next page, peeking through holes into the next scene, and opening the card that Mia made for Grandpa. It’s an interactive holiday story that will be especially appreciated by families that can’t all be together for Christmas.
- A World of Cookies for Santa: Follow Santa’s Tasty Trip Around the World – A World of Cookies for Santa takes readers across the globe to see all the treats that await Santa on Christmas Eve.
- Pick a Pine Tree – Joyously drawn and rhythmically written, this celebration of family, friends, and the holiday season is as merry as the tradition it depicts.
- The Night Before Christmas – A beautifully illustrated take on the classic.
- Arctic Christmas: A Very Cool Pop-Up Book – Arctic animal friends are joined by some special visitors from the South Pole for a very cool Christmas celebration. Seven spreads featuring charming illustrations, pop-ups and interactive elements by the award-winning creative team make this a book to be enjoyed by all ages – again and again!
- Felice the Christmas Fairy – Christmas lessons come in different sizes. For Felice the Christmas Fairy, it’s about friendship and compromise. For spoiled little Becky, it’s about learning that it’s not all about getting, sometimes it’s about giving back.
- The Story of Holly and Ivy – Ivy, Holly, and Mr. and Mrs. Jones all have one Christmas wish. Ivy, an orphan, wishes for a real home and sets out in search of the grandmother she’s sure she can find. Holly, a doll, wishes for a child to bring her to life. And the Joneses wish more than anything for a son or daughter to share their holiday. Can all three wishes come true?
- Zetta the Poinsettia – Zetta discovers she is more than just holiday decor in this tale of hope and self exploration.
- The Twelve Days of Christmas: A Peek-Through Picture Book – Turn page after page of this innovative picture book based on the classic carol “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” and watch as twelve days of gifts appear through clever peek-through holes on each page!
- Walk This World at Christmastime – Travel to a new set of countries with every turn of the page. Lift the numbered flaps for all the fun of an Advent calendar in a format to be read again and again.
- The Christmas Eve Tree – This magical story captures an unexpected and unforgettable moment of happiness that brings a whole city together.
- Red and Lulu – A heart-tugging story combining the cheer of Christmas, the magic of New York City, and the real meaning of the holiday season: how important it is to be surrounded by love.
- Olive, the Other Reindeer – Adorable Olive and her hilarious adventures are sure to make anyone’s Christmas merry.
- The Nutcracker: An Enchanting Pop-Up Adaptation – The Nutcracker comes alive in this pop-up adaptation of the classic holiday tale. From ballrooms to battles, from boats to ballets, you’ll follow along on a fabulous magical journey with Marie and her beloved Christmas gift.
- The Crayons’ Christmas – In this unique book, readers get to see how Duncan, the crayons, and their families celebrate the holidays. With real, folded letters from the Crayons that you can pull from their envelopes and read, games, punch-out ornaments, a poster, and a pop-up tree, this book is the perfect gift for for the holidays.
- Little Red Sleigh – Believe in the magic of Christmas with this heartwarming Christmas picture book about the little red sleigh that could.
- A Christmas for Bear (Bear and Mouse) – Bear’s minimalist holiday celebration has an eager Mouse feeling a bit anxious in this humorous and heartwarming story about the unlikely, lovable pair.
- Finding Christmas – A charming story of how Squirrel, Mouse, and Hare have to give up their presents to help their friend, and how they find the Christmas spirit.
- Jingle Bells – Ride along with a girl, a boy, their pony, and a mischievous dog as they travel to Grandma’s house. With playful animals in their path, their journey gets a bit sidetracked. But soon enough they arrive at Grandma’s—where an unexpected visitor fills them with holiday cheer!
- Little Christmas Tree – One white and snowy night, a little Christmas tree stands alone in the forest but by the end of the book, the little Christmas tree is transformed by nature. A glorious lift-the-flap exploration of nature.
- The Nutcracker in Harlem – This jazz-inspired reinvention of The Nutcracker is a worthy tribute to the dreamlike wonder and magic of the Christmas season.
- Dasher: How a Brave Little Doe Changed Christmas Forever – The story of a brave little doe who meets Santa and changes Christmas forever. This book has hundreds of 5-Star reviews!
- The Wish Tree – The poetic text and heartwarming illustrations evoke the true essence of the holiday season and will inspire wishers everywhere. This gem of a book deserves center stage year round.
- Christmas Farm – A lyrical, behind-the-scenes look at the intricate lives of Christmas trees.
- Jingle Bells: A Magical Cut-Paper Edition – An elegant cut-paper edition of the classic Christmas song transforms with each turn of the page and offers a spectacular pop-up finale.
- Snowflakes: 5th Anniversary Edition: A Pop-Up Book – The intricate beauty of snowflakes is fully revealed in this Pop-Up Book. Each of the seven spreads features fully illustrated pop-ups and delicate mixed media that are sure to surprise and delight.
- Maple & Willow’s Christmas Tree – From the acclaimed book series that celebrates the bond of two nature-loving sisters, in this book Maple and Willow are getting their first real Christmas tree. It is going to be the best Christmas ever!