Hatch Green Chile Pizza with Corn + Chicken Sausage
Friday night at our house means one thing – pizza night! It is something I look forward to all week. For starters, I can easily have a love affair with any and all pizza but it also is one of my favorite nights of the week because it is a time where we are all relaxed and having some family fun in the kitchen. We all have our own roles. And we know them well. I make the dough and prep the ingredients de jour, the little one helps stretch the dough and tastes all the ingredients and hubby assembles the pizza while I stand back and smile at my little family while drinking a glass of wine. Who thought Friday nights at home at 5 o’clock could be the highlight of my week?
We definitely have our favorite go to pizza toppings that are on heavy rotation, but we try to mix it up from time to time with something fun and different. Something seasonal. Something out of the box. Something that would be easy enough for my toddler to enjoy but also interesting enough so us ‘grown ups’ don’t get board. This pizza hit the bullseye. Whole wheat pizza crust pilled high with sweet corn, flavorful sausage, spicy green chiles all topped with some sharp cheddar cheese. Different enough to make us feel adventurous while at the same time it has familiar ingredients for Ellie to recognize and feel comfortable enough digging into. If you wanted to get crazy, you could even top with some chopped spinach or kale, but it is Friday after all, and all serious veggies are optional in my opinion.
As far as pizza crust goes, you can use pre-made crusts, pre-made dough sold at most supermarkets or make your own dough. While I have used pre-made crusts, there is nothing better to me then making my own dough. I love to use either this or this recipe and have found that in a pinch they are both totally amazing with only a 30 minute rise time. I also try to double or triple the dough recipe and freeze the remaining balls of dough. All you need to do is remember to take them out of the freezer and leave on your counter in the morning and they will be ready in the evening.
Other Great Toddler Meals –
Chicken + Apricot + Sage + Kale Loaf
Toddler Mac and Cheese – 4 Ways
Get the recipe: Hatch Green Chile Pizza with Corn and Chicken Sausage
- 1 ear or roughly 1 cup corn kernels, can also used canned or frozen and thawed
- 1 large chicken sausage, Italian flavored
- 3 Tbsp mild Hatch green chiles, canned or fresh
- 3 green onions, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese, I used a mix of Sharp White Cheddar and Colby Jack
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- homemade or store-bought pizza dough
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Roll the pizza dough into a circle shape and place on pizza stone or pan. For a crispy crust, bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes, or until just brown.
- While crust is baking, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Slice sausage casing open and take out sausage meat, discarding casing. Brown the sausage in the pan for 8 minutes breaking sausage up with the back of a spoon.
- Husk the corn and cut kernels off of the cob.
- Once pizza crust is cooked, take it out of oven and brush with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. You can also add garlic powder and chili flakes if you wish.
- Arrange sausage, corn, and hatch chilis over crust. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Turn up the oven to 525 degrees F, or as high as your oven will go. Stand back, it’s getting hot in here. Cook the pizza for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and brown. Sprinkle green onions on top while cheese is still pipping hot. Let cool for 5 minutes then cut into toddler size pieces.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @babyfoode on Instagram and hashtag it #babyfoode!