Blueberry Summer Crisp (for all ages!)
This Blueberry Summer Crisp is made with fresh summer blueberries, strawberries and a squeeze of lemon all topped with a refined sugar-free crumble and a dollop of whipped coconut cream. A tasty dessert that can be enjoyed by the entire family!
Drum roll please… this amazing blueberry crisp is for ALL AGES!!!
Yes, you read that right!
Any 6-month-old can enjoy this dessert just as much as you will.
Can I get a high-five or what?
The key to this amazing dessert is that we let the blueberries be the star of the show. Which they can and will do this time of year when they are literally bursting with fresh flavors, not to mention a ton of nutrients such as antioxidants, fiber and vitamin A.
This crisp has three different components – the fruit filling, the crumble topping and the whipped coconut cream. Depending on who you are serving this to, you may not need to add all of the components into each ramekin (more on that below).
For the fruit filling, we start by mixing together fresh blueberries and strawberries with a little lemon juice and vanilla extract.
That’s all we are going to put into this fruit filling – no added refined sugar or corn starch. This crisp doesn’t need those unwanted ingredients. Keeping the fruit filling down to 3 natural ingredients is what makes this recipe friendly for all ages.
To make the crumble topping, we quickly mix together by hand some oats, flour, coconut oil, cinnamon and a little maple syrup until it is crumbly and just slightly sticky. You can also sub in butter for the coconut oil if you prefer.
Next up, the whipped coconut cream. The hardest part of this whole recipe is remembering to put a can of coconut milk into the fridge to chill before you whip it up. Don’t forget this step or your coconut milk won’t whip. But to solve this solution, I recommend you just keep a couple of cans of coconut milk in the fridge at all times. See, problem solved! Lately, I have been whipping up a batch every couple of days to enjoy on top of my coffee, as a dip for fresh berries or sometimes I even sneak a spoonful for a quick sweet treat!
Here’s how we are going to make this dessert work for all ages –
6-9 Months – we make and bake the crisp with just the fruit filling and without the crumble topping. Then to make the filling into a puree, we simply take the fruit filling, place it into a blender and puree until smooth. You can add in a little coconut whipped cream but make sure to omit the maple syrup in their portion.
9-12 Months – you can definitely still puree this dessert for this age range, but chances are at this stage your little one will want to attempt to eat it by themselves. No problem, just spoon some of the berries onto their tray and let them have at it! It’s going to be messy. But since you are also enjoying a crisp of your own, it won’t bother you as much. At this age you can serve this crisp with or without the crumble topping depending on where you little one is at with their eating (gnawing) skills.
Toddlers – Go for it! Add the crumble and whipped coconut cream on top and let them dig in. Again, this will probably be messy. But it’s summertime, so just eat your crisp outside on your back deck and then hose down any messy toddler after their bowls are licked clean.
Adults – Pile it high! Add the crumble and the whipped coconut cream on top of yours because this dessert is 100% guilt free and you deserve it.
This Blueberry Summer Crisp is great for any and every summer event you have – potlucks, family bbq’s, picnics in the park, festive holiday celebrations and can even be served as an easy weeknight dessert.
Because the only thing better then having a sweet guilt-free dessert for yourself, is being able to share it with your entire family!
Blueberry Summer Crisp (for all ages!)
For Fruit Filling
1 cup blueberries
1 cup strawberries, chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Crumble Topping
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup flour (whole wheat, white whole wheat, all-purpose, gluten free)
2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter, firm
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
For Whipped Coconut Cream
1 15-oz can full-fat canned coconut milk, chilled in advance
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
1. Place the can of canned coconut milk in your fridge for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Place 4 4-oz ramekins or small baking dish onto a baking sheet.
3. To make the fruit filling, place the berries, lemon juice and vanilla extract into a medium bowl and gently stir until combined.
4. To make the crumble topping, place the oats, flour, coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon in a medium bowl and mix with your fingers until the coconut oil is in tiny pea size pieces and everything is starting to stick together.
5. To make the crisps, fill each ramekin to the top with roughly 1/2 cup of fruit filling and then top with 1/4 cup of crumble topping. You might have some left over crumble topping depending on how full your fruit is in your ramekins. If making this recipe into a baby dish, skip the crumble topping on their portion.
6. Place the ramekins onto the baking sheet, and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and the crumble is golden brown. Let cool before serving.
7. To make the whipped coconut cream, open the chilled can of coconut milk and drain any clear liquid into a measuring cup and reserve. Scoop the thick white coconut milk into a bowl, add in desired maple syrup (optional) and whip with a hand held mixer for 2 minutes or until light and creamy. If your whipped coconut cream is too thick, add in 1 tablespoon at a time of the reserved clear coconut milk.
8. If making into baby puree – spoon their portion into a blender and puree for 30-45 seconds.
9. If making for toddler – serve as is or with a dollop of whipped coconut cream.
10. If making for adult – serve warm with a huge dollop of whipped coconut cream.
Yield – 4 small servings
Prep time – 15 minutes
Cook time – 35 minutes
Chill time – 4-12 hours (for canned coconut milk)
Disclaimer – this post was sponsored by Beech-Nut baby food. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Baby FoodE.